The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Critiuqe my mare? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/critiuqe-my-mare-372074/)

Blacklight 03-01-2014 02:28 PM

Critiuqe my mare?

2 Attachment(s)
She's an OTTB and this picture is from over a year ago when we first got her, so mind the ribbyness lol I don't have an decent images of her from the side yet. I had good ones, but computer crashed, so I lost them, now I am having a heck of a time getting new ones that look just right lol, so let me know what you think of this girl? :)

Forgot to add.. The bottom is the most recent from a couple of days ago but not sure it's a good critique shot lol

lilruffian 03-02-2014 11:36 AM

She has a decent shoulder but her neck is set quite high and somewhat ewed.
Very prominent, high wither
Back is a nice length
Appears to stand under herself slightly in the front legs
Very Thoroughbredy hindquarters ;)
Hind legs give the impression of lining up correctly

Tryst 03-02-2014 05:17 PM

I think this is a pretty nice mare. I would love to see some recent photos now that she has put on weight and been let down. I like her shoulder. I don't think she has a true ewe neck, just is holding it funky in the photo.

Elana 03-02-2014 05:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I like Thoroughbreds.

I really like her very strong topline. There appears to be a roach ahead of her point of croup but I am willing to bet that is simply backbone on a very thin mare that has a very strong topline. I would love to see a photo of this horse filled out! She has a lovely short back that ties into high withers that, once she is fattened up may not be so knife like. As pf this photo saddle fitting will be a challenge. She should not have been ridden until gaining weight anyway.

She has some down hill issues. Her stifle is quite a bit higher than her elbows while her hocks are not that much taller than her knees. This means a long gaskin which would produce speed if the stifle were placed further forward giving her over straight hind leg a little more angle. For hunters, jumpers and eventing the stifle further forward and a bit lower would be more desirable.. giving her hind leg more angle and more ability to function as a spring (the hind leg is a spiral construction.. like a spring.. that is why the hind toes point out a little.. to compensate the spiral). The stifle better placed would also give her more muscle mass in the hindquarters.

I love the placement of her knees. They are very low and the cannons are very short. Her hocks OTOH are a tad bit high. Her rear cannons are a little light.. but that is not a serious issue since 60% of a horse's weight is on the front end.

Her pasterns are correct. Not over long and not over short. Nice to see on a Thoroughbred.

Her shoulder is adequate.. maybe a little steep with a nice placement of the point of shoulder. Her neck comes out from a rather ill defined meaty chest with too much muscle on the under side and too little on top. The neck in this photo ties in low to the withers.. but that may have changed with weight. Her neck is a bit over short appearing here.

I would LOVE to see a photo of this same horse.. set up in a similar manner.. but with weight on. I really like her a lot and she looks a horse with a lot of potential. Wish she were mine.

Blacklight 03-02-2014 09:14 PM

Ty for the replies :)

I will get some as soon as I can :) I let her be a horse for a year, rode around, did simple things, nothing taxing, simply got to know each other :)

That first photo, is 2 months off the track, as her last race date was Sept of 2012 and that was taken in Dec 2012.

I am quite proud to have her and often wondered more information on her conformation. Very much appreciated :)

Tryst 03-02-2014 11:33 PM

Sorry - wrong thread!

CandyCanes 03-03-2014 12:18 PM

Could you get some pictures of her now, in that same position... She has roughly the same faults as my guy, and I'd really like to compare. He is the spitting image of her. Breed, colour and all :)

BlueSpark 03-03-2014 12:40 PM

whats her breeding?

Blacklight 03-03-2014 04:31 PM

Summer In The City's Pedigree

I tried getting pics today, but the barn's lighting sucks with ipods.. makes em all grainy, and outside, she was too dark. Will keep trying. My sister might have some from this last summer tho.

Elana 03-04-2014 09:19 AM

City Zip is a good sire, but her Dam is unraced so she is not special pedigree wise.

That does not mean she is not a well put together horse. I look forward to recent photos with her fattened up. She might do 3 day.................