The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Whats your opinion on interchangeable gullets? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/whats-your-opinion-interchangeable-gullets-37238/)

kmarie 10-02-2009 11:05 AM

Whats your opinion on interchangeable gullets?

Hha i keep posting things about saddles! but i am a college student and i have about $600-$1000 (hopefully closer to 1000) and i have been riding in the same collegiate saddle for 10 years, so i really think my budget will allow me to get a great used saddle and i want to make the right decision. So, interchangeable gullets? whats the deal? what your opinion on them?

upnover 10-02-2009 02:13 PM

A saddler I know absolutely hates them for anything but light jumping. Wish I could remember exactly what was wrong with them... :) but he basically told me to never ever ever get one. (Then again, I jump about 5 horses a day) I also hear they're a pain to change. But I've never actually used one so I can't give my personal opinion, just pass along info I"ve gotten!

sixlets 10-02-2009 02:44 PM

I have a Wintec that I like for everyday, but they're is a lady at my barn that a leather saddle with interchangeable gullets and she loves it. She's currently using it on a percheron cross mare and somehow it fits her haha. She told me that she's also used it on an arab and loved it still. Hope this helps!

riccil0ve 10-02-2009 05:54 PM

I hear it's a great system. It just helps out when fitting the horses with non-existent withers. If you plan to use the new saddle for multiple horses, or have a horse with no withers, I'd suggest it. I'd be concerned more about the paneling or whatever though. I hear the best things about the Cair system as it doesn't need re-flocking.

I'm just so glad I ended up with a free saddle that fits my horse and I perfectly, haha. =]

Haley 10-02-2009 07:07 PM

After having experience with one myself.. never again. Even thought it changes the gullet of the saddle, it doesn't change the spine of the tree. Therefore it's almost always going to be too narrow or two wide, unless it fit's your horse perfectly.

I constantly had problems with the wintec I had, my horse HATED it, he'd buck and buck because he was obviously in pain. Got rid of it, got a nice used beval that I had check by a professional saddle fitter to make sure it fit and his behavior completely changed.

For your price range you can get an awesome used saddle, without a changeable gullet that will be much nicer on horses backs. :D

1dog3cats17rodents 10-02-2009 07:47 PM

I really like them, all three of ours are interchangeable. My parents TB really loses/gains weight in weird placve throughout the year, so we change his back and forth every few months to fit his withers. Beats having three saddles for one horse!

ShowJumpLife 10-02-2009 08:25 PM

good if you need a med/narrow med or med/wide gullet anything other then that and dont bother cause it only changes the gullet not the channel.
In saying that both of my saddles are interchangeable but every time they need changing they get refitted by a saddler.

rocky pony 10-03-2009 03:26 AM

I don't know how people can dislike them. I'm so glad I have it and wish they'd make it for western saddles too!
I have a Wintec 500 with easychange and it's been able to fit both my low, wide-withered fat RM pony and my high, thin-withered skinny TB

Of course, they don't fit every horse on earth, but they do fit a much rider range of horses than any plain old saddle would. Before buying any saddle I would recommend that you make sure that it will fit your horse, even if it does have easy-change. People who complained that the saddles bothered their horses clearly didn't do that.

Also I must add, the gullets are not that hard to change. You just have to get used to it to get really fast about it, but even the first time I changed it was very easy and simple.

FjordFan 10-03-2009 03:50 AM

I think they are brilliant but what many people seem to forget is they still need to be professionally fitted and your saddle should be checked by a fitter every 6-12 months especially if your horse is young. I prefer the Thorowgood brand they have different types to suit different types of horses.