The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   What is going on with this horse!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/what-going-horse-3725/)

Delregans Way 10-07-2007 06:29 AM

What is going on with this horse!!

Hey all.

I have this horse.... he is fully rugged groomed atleast 4 times a week, washed every sunday. He isn't getting a shiny coat. He is in the paddock with his mate, (Quarab). So they have the same access to pasture, they get fed the same, same rugs, same grooming pattern. The Quarab has a shiny coat all year round, while the ASH doesn't. The Quarab is 9yr, and the ASH is 6yr. Why is this? They both have mineral blocks, and salt licks in their stables. And the ASH eats his quicker than the Quarab.

Its got me BUGGARED!!

Do you have any ideas?

englishcowgrl 10-07-2007 12:44 PM

my horses are out 24/7 in the summer and in at night and in on bad days in the winter and they all have shiny full coats, we don't rug our horses at all,

i would say that when you bath your horse your getting rid of the natural oils in your horses skin and hair that make it shiny, and with the lack of light on your horses back it can't bring out the natural highlights and colour in your horses coat.

do you need to bath every sunday and rug all the time?

Sara 10-07-2007 03:59 PM

True, I wouldn't bathe once a week.

Xanadu 10-07-2007 04:08 PM

What about worming? If your horse is wormy it can cause his coat to be dull.

Delregans Way 10-07-2007 06:52 PM

Hey. The shampoo i use is formulated not to remove their natural oils. Trust me if you see them after they roll in the dam (which is full of mud) you would to! It takes a good 3hs a horse to remove some of that mud, even then its not finished.

Yes the horses are fully wormed every 6weeks-8weeks. And a nother reason i wash them after a Sunday is, that is when my girls instructors come over, and they have a 4h workout. If i don't wash him he gets covered in this rash.

Any other ideas?

jazzyrider 10-07-2007 08:24 PM

well, im no expert but i have found that equilibrium mineral mix does great things for a horses coat. there are quite a few placed around brissie that sell it.

i also add an egg and a small amount of vegetable oil to their feed and this seems to help as well. i also keep my horses rugged all the time and wash them once a week. i also have to wash weekly due to all the dust and dirt and everything were we are agisted. im looking for somewhere new but this stupid horse flu means im stuck where i am for forever it seems :)

thats just my input. it may or may not help but the mix itself is amazing in many other areas too.

Delregans Way 10-07-2007 08:41 PM

Thanks for that. Im in Bundaberg Jazzy rider, that flu is annoying isn't it! Although im in a green zone so i can move my horses, and go for rides out and about. Poor you!!

Im already using a mineral block, and i use vege oil (its mixed in to the feed, "Sweetbulk" u gotta try it!!) Its crazy hey! I can't figure it out!!

Thanks any way!

sparky 10-08-2007 01:19 AM

Try mixing in some apple cider vinegar with his feed.

Delregans Way 10-08-2007 01:31 AM

thanks sparky, although..... Can you explain why the other horse that is older getting a shiny coat? When they have the same diet....? My minds twisted over this one!

LuLu 10-08-2007 11:00 AM

I would stop bathing him for a while, and maybe just put a very light rug on. Does he need rugging at all? If this doesn't help, then maybe get the vet out to just check him over, just to be on the safe side :)