The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Horse rears when she doesnt want to go, what should i do? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/horse-rears-when-she-doesnt-want-37331/)

GandRPaints 10-03-2009 05:00 PM

Horse rears when she doesnt want to go, what should i do?

Ok, love my horse to death but when she doesnt want to go weather it be because shes scared or just being stuborn, she rears. Its getting worse. If I just kick her to go she will rear to. I have smacked her on the butt with the reins and she will rear also. Ive gotten off her and lounged her thinking its just a scarey spot and shes fine. So any ideas. Thought about a tie down but I have never used one and dont really know how they work. Its to dangerous to let her keep doing this. I need another solution, or help. Which ever you call it. To all the people who are going to write me back and tell me im an animal abuser. Please dont bother to respond, I want help not criticism. Thanks!

thunderhooves 10-03-2009 05:22 PM

get a trainer.

iridehorses 10-03-2009 05:23 PM

Welcome to the forum!

I don't think you are an abuser for disciplining your horse. Rearing is probably the most dangerous thing a horse can do. Since it is getting worse, I would strongly suggest a professional. A tie down is absolutely not the way to go.

I'm sure we all have stories about curing the habit using water balloons, or eggs (both broken over the horse's head while he is rearing, making him think he hurt himself and is bleeding) but that can go terribly wrong and I've seen that first hand.

SavvyHearts 10-03-2009 05:28 PM

Is everything you are doing asking the horse to go? One friend of mine had this very same problem, she'd ask her horse to go and would get reallly hard on the horse and each time all the horse would do is rear up or kick out. it ended up for her that her horse was so sensitive to her body that though part of her was saying "move darn it!" another part was saying "stay right here". The horse got confused....and couldn't move forward, but couldn't stay there, so up he went.

I agree that a tie-down is not the way to go at all as it will not stop a rear but if the horse is rearing because he's confused or frightened or also it might make the situation worse.

GandRPaints 10-03-2009 05:37 PM

Thanks IRIDEHORSES. I have worked with horses all my life but have been fortunate enough to not have one that wants to rear. I was hoping someone could give me ideas instead of going to the trainers. I know eventually I will get her through this but was hoping someone would give suggestions on how to help her through it. I wasnt sure about the tie down but if thats not a good idea I will mark that off the list. I know that im going to have to have pacients with her and more or less keep her feet moving if she wont go forward. I know if i keep her head turned she wont rear. Tomorrow Im going to try backing her when she gets stuck and see where that gets me. Seems once she gets past a certain point shes ok. Oh by the way she is 2 not an older horse. Thought Id add that. If a trainer can get her through this so can I. Just need a little guidence. Maybe Ill call my trainer and ask him. She will be going to him in the spring but was hoping we had all the basics down before I sent her. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know. Ill keep you posted if i get her through this. Thanks

GandRPaints 10-03-2009 05:46 PM

Most of this started when my husband got a new horse. I think shes just unsure of wether she can go by herself. Ive decided to not ride her with his mare other than on the trails. She has only had me on her so I pretty much know how she rides and this is not normal for her. Im thinking its the new horse.

riccil0ve 10-03-2009 05:57 PM

I would still recommend a trainer. Professional help with someone experienced is the best route. You need someone who has fixed this kind of problem successfully to come SHOW you what to do, and from then on, you'll be able to take your new experiences and apply them if the situation arises again. This is definitely a situation where inexperience can just make it worse. In trying to fix it on your own, you can make the rearing worse, or invoke another undesirable behavior. Rearing is about as bad as it gets, so get someone to come help you, not just words on the internet.

GandRPaints 10-03-2009 06:04 PM

Your probably right.

riccil0ve 10-03-2009 06:09 PM

It's not an insult on you or your experience, I promise. =]

nirvana 10-03-2009 06:15 PM

A riend of a friend had a horse that rears alot she got a running martingale and her horse hasent reared since. If she does not want to go forward try letting her stand their for a second and think and have her stand their when she seems relaxed. (This worked when my horse was rearing/bucking when I tried to ride by some sheep)

Someone at my barn told me that she would have her horse back up when it wouldnt go forward on the road, that way she learnt that she doesnt get to stop whenever she wants (stil moving somehow), and she never actualy got to turn and face the direction she wants t go. This took a long time to work though.

My RI/Trainor said told me when my horse refuses to go down the road to have somebody have a whip following fro behinds and to the side(obviously), this may be more for balking than anything else.

I know what you mean when you'd rather do it yourself, when I got my horse we were both green, any questions I had I would ask my RI (who also trains horses- she broke trooper) how to handle it. She came out a couple of times when I had a really hard time, she didnt ride him herself but instructed me through it. Is there anyway you could do this?

Anyway hope this helps.