The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Flax seeds - how much to feed? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/flax-seeds-how-much-feed-37384/)

kitten_Val 10-04-2009 12:32 PM

Flax seeds - how much to feed?

Basically, it's in the title... :) I want to add flax seeds to the diet, but... How much should I feed? They get very little pellets with added BOSS (like lb/twice day).

~*~anebel~*~ 10-04-2009 01:21 PM

I'm assuming that you know to add the new food gradually over a few weeks, I would go to max about 1/4 to 1/2 a cup.
You could also talk to your vet about what he thinks is right for your horses.

Luv 2 Trail 10-04-2009 01:47 PM

:-)You should check out OMEGA HORSESHINE - an awesome product - 1/2 to 1 cup daily (I use 1/2) - it is stabilized and freshly milled and human food grade. It has a shelf life of 1 year so you don't need to refrigerate or worry about the consumption rate. It has made quite a difference in my horses!

kitten_Val 10-04-2009 01:55 PM

Thanks, folks!

deineria 10-04-2009 04:52 PM

I buy milled food grade flax seed at Walmart and add less than probably 1/4 cup once a day and wow! My arab mare was glowing the dark in 3-4 weeks - lol!

tealamutt 10-04-2009 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deineria (Post 419670)
I buy milled food grade flax seed at Walmart and add less than probably 1/4 cup once a day and wow! My arab mare was glowing the dark in 3-4 weeks - lol!

oh my god deineria, your arabian is incredibly gorgeous. Your pic alone has sold me on adding flax seed to my boy's diet. Really beautiful!

kitten_Val 10-04-2009 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deineria (Post 419670)

Interesting! I didn' know Walmart sells that. I got flax seeds from the local store (like $.75/pound).

Susan Crumrine 10-05-2009 07:50 AM

Flax

An old TB trainer turned me on to flax in 92, I buy it from Landmark, 50lb bag is about thirty dollars, and add up to 1/2 a cup. Benefits range from skin and coat, to immune system, you will love it.

hiwaythreetwenty 10-05-2009 08:07 AM

I learned from an horse shoer that flaxseed works well as a joint supplement too. We use it on our old horses and it has worked amazing. We purchase our from a local wholefoods co-op and the secret it is you buy it whole and then grind it with a coffee grinder which releases the omegas and good stuff. I feel a old bute container with it and then give them 2-3 scoops (old bute scoops) once a day and it works great.

kitten_Val 10-05-2009 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiwaythreetwenty (Post 420328)
I learned from an horse shoer that flaxseed works well as a joint supplement too. We use it on our old horses and it has worked amazing. We purchase our from a local wholefoods co-op and the secret it is you buy it whole and then grind it with a coffee grinder which releases the omegas and good stuff. I feel a old bute container with it and then give them 2-3 scoops (old bute scoops) once a day and it works great.

Yeah, I heard that too that you want to grind them every morning. That's what I don't quite understand HOW does it release omega if you do so? :shock: