The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   How do i get into eventing? (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/how-do-i-get-into-eventing-37411/)

spike160194 10-04-2009 05:49 PM

How do i get into eventing?

Hi, my names sarah coupe. I am a 15 year old girl with a huge passion for horses. i have been riding for 8/9 years and couldnt think of a better hobbie. However my parents cannot afford to buy me a horse, and the career i would like to follow is Three Day Eventing. I have a horse on three day loan, but unfortunately she is not quite young enough to get me where i would like to be. I was wondering if anyone had any adivice about eventing yards in South Yorkshire, that are looking for a young talented rider that wants to get ahead in the eventing world. Thanks for any feedback.

cheply 10-05-2009 08:55 PM

Look on google and classifieds websites for your area and just search for instructors for eventing.

Saskia 10-05-2009 11:58 PM

I don't mean to burst your bubble but I honestly wouldn't start of planning a career in Three Day Eventing. Generally you need another job and do eventing on the side as a hobby, and if you become very good at it and work your way up then eventually you can probably have a career in it - although your income will not come fully from winnings. It will be from sponsorship, and probably breeding or training horses to sell on, or being a riding instructor.

Its hard not having your own horse, but at your age (if you really wanted to) you could probably have a casual job and maybe afford to keep a cheap horse. Still, don't put all your eggs in one basket. Ask around at the yards in your area - just give them all a call.

ThatNinjaHorse 10-06-2009 05:54 AM

As Saskia said, its hard to make a decent career in the horse world. But theres no reason why you cant start now. If i were you i'd look for any eventing yards in your area, call up riding schools, ask at saddleries etc. If you dont have the money for lessons straight away they may let you work for them by doing jobs about the place, by doing this you will pick up bits along the way too. Eventually they may let you ride their horses for them, take you to competitions etc, if you get good enough. But even if there is nowhere you can do eventing close by, just having regular dressage and jumping lessons would help alot! Then once you get older and have the finances, you can buy your own horse and you will have the skill to start planning to do eventing.
Good luck!

StormyBlues 10-06-2009 03:14 PM

Ask around, I'm lucky enough to have the resources to do eventing, and it's the best thing in the world! I want to make it to the top too, good luck! You can always work off a bord, or lessons.

cheply 10-06-2009 05:15 PM

Question : if you want to be like intensely amazing and a high level competitor.. don't you have to start out when you are like 5?

ThatNinjaHorse 10-06-2009 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheply (Post 421579)
Question : if you want to be like intensely amazing and a high level competitor.. don't you have to start out when you are like 5?

The OP didnt say she wanted to be an "intensely amazing and a high level competitor" she just wants to have a go. You do not need to start out at such a young age, sucess depends on a number of factors. The OP said she was been riding for 8 or 9 years, so thats a fair while and hopefully she has a decent foundation in flatwork, where everything starts.

MIEventer 10-06-2009 08:11 PM

Quote:

Hi, my names sarah coupe. I am a 15 year old girl with a huge passion for horses. i have been riding for 8/9 years and couldnt think of a better hobbie. However my parents cannot afford to buy me a horse, and the career i would like to follow is Three Day Eventing. I have a horse on three day loan, but unfortunately she is not quite young enough to get me where i would like to be. I was wondering if anyone had any adivice about eventing yards in South Yorkshire, that are looking for a young talented rider that wants to get ahead in the eventing world. Thanks for any feedback.
Hi and welcome to the board!

My advice is this:

Find a facility where they do Eventing. Talk to the BM, or the BO and the Coaches - Coaches who compete regularily in the sport.

Get on as a Working Student and start out with that. You will beable to work off board, work off lessons, work of training. While learning, growing and obtaining the experience and information needed to progress in this highly competative and highly demanding sport.

You have to work very hard. If you want it, you will achieve it.

I have friends who have made it - one is at 3 star now and just got scouted by Bruce Davidson. She started with nothing and now runs her own barn.

Believe it or not - majority of the top riders you see in the sport of Eventing, don't even compeate on their own horses. They are paid to ride other people's horses, and that's how they make their money. Same with the GP Jumping world.

You don't have to have your own horse either. You can be a working student and ride your trainers horses. Work off lessons and work off comps.

You can then find a Trainer/Rider who rides at Upper Levels in Eventing, and become their working student. You'll get far that way.

There is a rider in my area who is one comp away from quallifying for Rolex. She started out as a working student, and now runs her own barn. Has her own clients. Her own horses.

You have to start somewhere. If there is a will, there is a way. You just have to find it and be willing to do it.

When I was a working student, I prooved myself to be capeable and knowledgeable enough to ride boarders horses and the BM's clients horses. Gave me allot of time in the saddle. I was riding up to 5/6 horses a day. That got my name out there.

Not all of us have Mommy's and Daddy's who pay for everything - so those of us who have to work for it on our own, find ways to achieve our goals and wants.

There are quite a few people out there who are compeating on a regular basis and prooving themselves to be capeable - who aren't riding their own horses and who work very hard for what they want.

I have another friend who prooved herself to the community and gets to ride their horses in comps, that the owners pay for themselves - to get their horses seen and noticed by others. She prooved herself capeable enough as a trainer, she now has her own clients. She just moved to 1 star.

Another, never owned a horse a day in her life. Impecable rider, prooved herself and rides other people's horses in comps - that she doesn't have to pay a dime for. She is climbing the ladder in levels amazingly well.

These riders are been seen. Recognized and getting their faces and names out there. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see them at Rolex one day.

THOSE are the riders who make it to the top.

ThatNinjaHorse 10-06-2009 08:19 PM

^^ Awesome answer!

cheply 10-07-2009 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatNinjaHorse (Post 421653)
The OP didnt say she wanted to be an "intensely amazing and a high level competitor" she just wants to have a go. You do not need to start out at such a young age, sucess depends on a number of factors. The OP said she was been riding for 8 or 9 years, so thats a fair while and hopefully she has a decent foundation in flatwork, where everything starts.

I wasn't asking for her... I was asking for myself.
I feel I'm too old to ever compete at a high level.
She's only 4 years younger than me.. thats why I asked. I didn't see that she'd been riding for a long time already I guess.