The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Sad Horse .... Please Help..... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/sad-horse-please-help-37450/)

BLAZERIVERSONG 10-04-2009 10:32 PM

Sad Horse .... Please Help.....

Hi there,

I sold my horses paddock mate of 6 years on the weekend (not an easy decision) and I was wondering if anyone has some tips on how I can make the transition easier for him. I currently am giving him a vitamin B suppliment in his feed every night and his is still eating but slower than normal. But at least he is eating. It breaks my heart to see him this way so any tips would be much appreciated. Many thanks in advance

kitten_Val 10-04-2009 10:37 PM

Get a small (and cheap) friend: pony, goat. Or at least if that's not an option try to socialize with him as much as you can every day for while.

BLAZERIVERSONG 10-04-2009 10:43 PM

Many thanks kitten_val for fast reply and your help. Are they happy with a goat friend? I want to try and stay away from another horse as I could never see him like this again and I know he will become attached to a horse of any size? It rips my heart apart to see him like this I have owned him for 11 years now and I love him to death.

Lily of the Valley 10-04-2009 10:45 PM

Maybe you could adopt a pony, horse, goat, whatever? That way you don't have to spend a whole lot and he still gets the company you need. In fact, a lot of places offer companion horses for free to good homes - ones with old injuries that prevent them from being ridden or just old age or whatever. Is that an option?

riccil0ve 10-04-2009 11:09 PM

I'd go with a goat. They're cheap and super easy to maintain. If you don't have the option to get him a "friend" just spend as much time as you can with him. I know how it feels to more or less be the reason your horse's heart is broken, but he'll live, and he'll be happy again, as long as he doesn't think his ONLY friend left him. =]

mom2pride 10-05-2009 12:09 AM

I'd get him a goat or sheep as a companion; just make sure to have minerals out there for the lil guy, otherwise he may chew on the horse's tail to get minerals and vitamins he lacks. Goats especially make fabulous companions because they are so personable, and friendly. They come in many different sizes and breeds, so you can have an adult goat who is anywheres from 35-200lbs!!!

For introductions I would pen the new animal in a pen where they can sniff each other but the horse can't chase or nip at him; Give them a good week or two of this kind of contact, before turning them out together, and be watchful of them for the first few days to make sure they are getting along well.

BLAZERIVERSONG 10-05-2009 01:06 AM

Just a question, do horses get attached and suffer separation problems when they leave the paddock with a goat? That is why Id prefer not to get another horse of any size.

kedar my buba boy 10-05-2009 04:15 AM

well idk i got a horse and she is with a pony and she hates it hetirse to hump her?

Susan Crumrine 10-05-2009 06:22 AM

Eee

just found out that the horse I gave my grown daughter, In NC, may have EEE, I am devastated.

HELP

kitten_Val 10-05-2009 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLAZERIVERSONG (Post 420114)
Many thanks kitten_val for fast reply and your help. Are they happy with a goat friend?

Actually lots of horse people in my area keep a goat (or even several) as companions for the horses. Some keep llamas. That certainly seems to work.

I was thinking about getting one too for my horses (for the times when I haul one to the park), but my concern is if it'll run away and gets to my neighbor's front yard he may shoot us both. :shock: So I just keep the left one occupied with the hay.