The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   bare back (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/bare-back-3749/)

Annabel 10-07-2007 11:46 PM

bare back

sorry, i didnt really know which section to put this in, but what is the right way to ride bare back, i love it, but i always feel im suppose to lean forward a little to stay on, or do you just sit normally? :?

sparky 10-08-2007 06:29 AM

Whatever feels best for you I guess. If you are in a comp and you have a bareback class, sitting normally would be best I guess, but I know at home on my horses I lean forward or way back because they both have high bony withers.

M~R~N 10-08-2007 08:42 AM

A way to get balanced while riding bareback is riding without the reins. Do you have a round pen? If not, see if you can get someone to longe the horse while you ride. When you say that you 'lean forward' it sounds as if you're using the reins to balance.

Anyway, at the walk, tie the reins and let them rest on the horse's neck (sort of a safety precaution, in case the horse bolts which it shouldn't but that's a totally different subject :D). Let your arms hang at your side and try to get a feel for how the horse walks.

My problem was tensing up my shoulders, which in turn would tense up my legs in an attempt to 'hold on' but it just gives you a bad seat if you squeeze with your legs. The goal was to sit straight, relaxed, and not to squeeze. Look at it this way: to relax my shoulders I would force my hands to stay open. First my hands would clench, then my shoulders, then my legs...it's all connected...

Once you have the walk down sitting normally, try trotting. The trot is hardest because it's so bouncy, IMO, but just keep up the relaxed position because if you're relaxed you won't fall off.

I'd post more but this is kind of long already--best of luck!

Kiki 10-08-2007 07:48 PM

I love Bareback too!!

There are actually bareback classes and you mob arent pulling my leg?? Cool!!! What do you have to do in them???

With Dana I find sitting on her spine is the best way to 'connect' and she responds better that way.

And yes it hurts after awhile..............

kinky_oz69 10-08-2007 10:28 PM

I am currently taking a class right now it's called intorduction to horsemanship there use to be a bareback class but they dropped it and added it to this class (a little) but anyways to the point at the trot my teacher told us to lean back how she told us to do it is grab a handful of mane and lean back against it and just to keep everything relaxed

sweetypie16 10-08-2007 10:53 PM

Yes bare back is AWESOME!!! :D I ride with a string around my horses neck. And i haven't even done Parelli.... Me and mi horse have a bond, that didn't need Parelli to help! I jump 44gallon drums, logs in the paddock. I do all kind of stupid things lol :D

sparky 10-09-2007 06:37 AM

I love riding bareback on Clary, he is very painful, but he has the most SMOOTHEST trot in the world and you don't bounce at all. But he is a standie, but he is also so talented that I can ask him to go straight from a walk to a canter to miss any bumpy trot, and he goes from a canter to a walk with no bumpy trot as well (even though he doesn't have a bouncy trot nor canter, but you get the picture).

sweetypie16 10-09-2007 08:29 PM

:D so can i sparky, although i miss the walk al together. lol !! One of my fat QH is so easy to ride bareback. The canta feels like a rocking chair :lol:

horse_luver4e 10-09-2007 10:11 PM

There is no 'right' way to ride bare back, just stay on and have fun!

emilou423 10-13-2007 06:57 PM

i prefer bareback on my appy because she has nice wide soft withers/back so i barely notice her spine. :-)

i suggest sitting regularly to work the muscles that keep that position when in the saddle. as long as you are not poking your horse with your tush bones. then maybe a sort of two point would be good. also, leaning foreward might cause you to grip with your knees instead of lower leg, which could pinch the horse.