The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   New Eventing prospect What's your thoughts? (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/new-eventing-prospect-whats-your-thoughts-37548/)

hiwaythreetwenty 10-06-2009 10:42 AM

New Eventing prospect What's your thoughts?

1 Attachment(s)
What to show everyone my new girl. She is a 4 year old OTTB the pictures are the first weekend we brought her home and she had just raced that tuesday. She is about 15.3 -16.0 hands, very level headed, smooth mover, loves jumping (only lunged her over a 2' jump but she doesn't need any encouragement to go over, doesn't get spooky - went over ditches, mud, grated bridge, doesn't get worked up when the other horses start running around. So her mindset is good, just want others opinion on her conformation as a event prospect.

sillybunny11486 10-06-2009 12:07 PM

might need a few pounds but she looks great.

hiwaythreetwenty 10-06-2009 12:12 PM

That is in the works. She gets out on pasture all day (we did it gradually) good quality hay, to avoid her becoming hot she is given a low starch grain, and we are adding cocasoya for added fat to put weight on. She is a nibbler so giving her more will just make her waste it she is currently finishing what we are giving her so I am just making sure whatever she is fed is good quality.

speedy da fish 10-06-2009 02:16 PM

bit skinny in that pic but she looks like she has potential to be really athletic. nice square halt too in that pic- good dressage tip too then :P

hiwaythreetwenty 10-06-2009 05:51 PM

She stops and stands 90% in a square halt so I figure in worse case scenerio we would at least get a good score in the halt.:) She is skinny she wasn't real competive on the track and the owners needed her off the feed bill because they didn't have a real good year with any of their horses. But I look forward to seeing how she fills out. She is coming along nicely undersaddle, she leg yeilds, trots, halts, goes over ground poles (pretty much anything you point her at) she is so level headed and a people pleaser she does anything I ask. I have worked with OTTB of others but this is the first time I ever picked one out and it was the quickest transaction I have ever made. I never handled her once I did a lameness check and watched her trot on hand then off to the next. It was slightly intimidating and I feel I didn't do to bad by myself.

dressagebelle 10-06-2009 06:56 PM

I like her. She's definately good looking. Has nice conformation. The only thing that bugs me is that she looks a teeny bit downhill because of the topline of the trees behind her lol. She looks really sweet. I don't mind her weight because I know that she looks like a very healthy race horse, as she literally came off the track. Some good feed, and regular work to keep her from getting fat, she'll fill out nicely. The only thing that I would be a bit nervous about is her tendons. Just make sure that you give her good support with boots/wraps when you do start really working her. Good job on a nice horse.

hiwaythreetwenty 10-06-2009 08:34 PM

Thank you for your imput, I have just been doing light work right now (mainly walking with min trotting) but I am going start wrapping her legs as she progresses she is really taking to the work. We are focusing on building a solid foundation with transitions, ground poles, circles, figure 8's, and serpetines.

Velvet 10-07-2009 04:21 AM

I think that for an eventer she looks like a super prospect!!!

She is not too tall (personally I don't like a horse to be too big for eventing). Nicely short coupled, nice short back (but I personally prefer horses that are this way). But still has lovely long, clean (from what I can see) legs on her.

She looks like she will have the stamina for eventing too. And a kind and intelligent expression. She looks like she has spunk and heart.

All in all, definitely something I would consider buying for myself! :) CONGRATS and best of luck!

hiwaythreetwenty 10-07-2009 09:09 AM

Thanks, her legs are clean never pinfired and the owner said she was never off a day and he had her a year and a half we met her the first time right after she raced and she didn't have an ounce of heat in any part of her legs she just didn't want to race always in the middle or end

dantexeventer 10-08-2009 05:19 PM

Very cute! Obviously as a fresh OTTB she's going to be far under the ideal "riding horse" weight - she'll look great when she's filled out! Nice legs, too.
Her shoulder is fairly upright so she may have a hard time extended her gaits in the future; also, this can sometimes inhibit jumping ability but I'm sure she'll be fine at least to 3' - and very likely beyond. Many horses don't let conformation stand in their way!
I'm a sucker for a Thoroughbred! Congrats, have fun with her! And make sure you post riding pics for us to see ;)