The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Night turnout? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/night-turnout-37583/)

MyBoyPuck 10-06-2009 07:15 PM

Night turnout?

I posted this in health because I am looking at from that perspective. I moved my horse to a new barn over the weekend. He settled right in so that's all well and good. At his old place, he was out 24/7 and it just wasn't working for him. He refused to sleep outside and would fall asleep in the cross ties as a result. The new barn has very limited turnout space so they have to put the horses out in shifts. They currently have my horse on the nighttime shift. I am a little concerned that he's out all night and then stuck in the barn all day and only sees daylight for the two hours I'm up there with him each morning. Has anyone had any experiences good or bad with horses who are in that situation? It has me concerned to the point where I feel like I might have to move him again, but there's not many places to choose from in my area, so I'd like to avoid that if at all possible.

Erin_And_Jasper 10-06-2009 10:30 PM

where are you boarding? i keep my horses out 24/7 and seem to be ok. jasperwill lay down in the sun and fall asleep but i think he is just relaxing

riccil0ve 10-06-2009 10:35 PM

Can you just try it for awhile and see what happens? There's nothing really wrong with a horse out at night. After you give it a week or two, and you think it isn't doing him any good, maybe you can talk to the manager about giving him a different shift? If not, then move him again. Your horse deserves to be happy right? =]

MyBoyPuck 10-06-2009 10:53 PM

Erin, I had him up in Durham. For two years, nobody ever saw his lying down. Every horse is different. Apparently my boy just likes to use his stall as his bed. I do wish the turnout in the new place were reversed. I'd much rather him be out in the daytime and in his stall at night. Part of what I didn't like about 24/7 turnout was that I knew he wasn't all warm and cozy at night. Keeping weight on a TB is hard enough without them having to burn half of it off trying to stay warm. A good part of the reason I board him is that I cannot be there to make the executive decisions on which blanket to put on him for which situations. I'm already not in agreement with anyone at this new place on blanketing. I believe he's better off growing a nice thick fuzz before supplementing it with blankenting. All of their horses already have blankets on, and it's been no colder than 45 at night so far. The new barn is nice and warm. It will be ironic if he's not in it when it matters.

7Ponies 10-09-2009 12:08 AM

I prefer night time turn out. Their coats stay nicer in the summer, less bug problems as well.

I believe I read once that horses only sleep about 4 hours a day, and that's not all at once, so I don't think his being sleepy has much to do with it.

G and K's Mom 10-09-2009 02:37 PM

Horse's don't need to lay down to sleep except to get the 30-60 minutes of REM sleep they require daily. Laying down is also hard on the internal organs, that's why they are equipped with a "stay" apparatus.

We also try to let our horse's "hair up" before we start putting blankets on, but I've been in barns that have blankets on as soon as the temps go below 60F.

Being a boarder you sometimes are at the mercy of the BO. You know your horse best, he'll let you know if he's happy or not.

Erin_And_Jasper 10-10-2009 10:20 AM

at a barn i was at they blanketed horses year round

appylover31803 10-10-2009 01:22 PM

Is there anyway you can talk to another boarder there and ask if your horse and their's could switch shifts? That way he could be on the daytime shift. Or you could just talk to your BO and express how you'd rather have him on the day shift and see what he/she says.

Soon after we moved Gem and Vega and they were out 24/7 we noticed a total change in them. They just looked tired and warn out and would look like they'd fall asleep in their stalls. So I totally know what you mean.

MyBoyPuck 10-11-2009 09:05 PM

I guess now they're only putting him out every other night. The other days he's out in the daytime. He seems to be adjusting to his spordic turnout situation. His mood is fine and he's training well. Luckily the BO uses common sense and blankets him if she puts him out at night, so I'm not as concerned about him being out on a cold night. I'm slowly looking for a better place with more turnout, but they do seem to be taking good care of him, so I'm not as worried about it as I was.