The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Horse Conditioning Schedule (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/horse-conditioning-schedule-37585/)

apc11196 10-06-2009 07:38 PM

Horse Conditioning Schedule

My horse was terribly sore in his two front feet for about a month now. The vet finally said I could begin riding him again. He is currently on isoxsuprine to promote blood flow to his legs. I am ready to begin trotting him and need to develop a conditioning schedule so I could supple him up and work my way up to cantering and than jumping him. He is a 13 year old, 12.2 hh Welsh Pony. I could come down and ride him any day of the week. Any ideas for a schedule or for exercises? Thanks!

bloodhoundmom28 10-07-2009 12:12 PM

i work my gelding 3x a week on the ground for 30-45 min then twice a week i ride for about 45min-1hr i walk him a bit to warm up then i trot him a bit and cool him out the last 10 min at a walk it seems to be working for me

luvs2ride1979 10-07-2009 12:42 PM

Lunging should be kept to a minimum IMO, no more than 20 minutes total.

I like the approach as follows, "on" being work days (ridden or ground), "off" being no work days. 3 days on, 2 days off, 2 days on, 1 day off, 1 day on, 1 day off, then repeat.

Start with plenty of walking: patterns, some poles, circles, etc. Then move on to trotting 5-10 strides at a time, in a straight line, with 5-10 strides of walking betweem (equal walk to trot). Once he's warmed up at the trot, do a few big circles or serpentines, bending nicely at the trot. Finish with some walking patterns on a loose rein.

I would not trot any poles for a few rides, or until your vet gives you the okay. I would sit the trot, with your back soft and shoulder's back, encouraging him to properly use his back and lift his front end. If your sitting trot is not good, then I would half seat, to give him free use of his back.

bloodhoundmom28 10-07-2009 03:11 PM

Luvs would you say 30 min is to long for ground work? Not just lunge but i work on bend and flex as well as i jog beside him and he trots with me. I'm always up to changes

luvs2ride1979 10-07-2009 03:26 PM

No, 20-30 minutes of lunging total, circle work. Other kinds of ground work (straight and flexing) is great added to that.

bloodhoundmom28 10-07-2009 04:56 PM

Thanks i just wanted to make sure i was not doing something wrong

StormyBlues 10-07-2009 09:54 PM

When Blue was coming back from sickness, I would walk her, do a little trot, then back to walk. After about three weeks of increased time trotting I finally cantered just a little, and built that up too. And then built up the jumping. It worked well. And then I condition my horses's using trot sets(after a full recovery obviously)