The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Please stop teaching your horses to bow like this! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/please-stop-teaching-your-horses-bow-37603/)

CloudsMystique 10-07-2009 12:10 AM

Please stop teaching your horses to bow like this!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3335/...a389cf5222.jpg

It's extremely hard on their front legs, and it makes them very unbalanced while they're bowing. They can easily strain the muscles or tendons in their front legs or shoulders, or even fall over.

Teach them to do it like this:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3022/...53ef726111.jpg

It's SO easy. All you have to do is lift their front leg like you're going to pick their hoof, and then do exactly what you're doing now! Just hold their leg bent while they go down. After you do this for a while, they'll do it by themselves. It's really not that difficult, and your horse will thank you. He will also be more willing to perform the trick.

smrobs 10-07-2009 12:14 AM

Someday, I will HAVE to teach mine to bow so that I can get on. Will do it like the second horse though. The first just looks uncomfortable.

Completely off topic but the mane on that gray is absolutely stunning!!!

Goddess of Judecca 10-07-2009 12:14 AM

Oh god. Whoever taught their horse to bow like the former should be beaten with a brick.

Lori1983 10-07-2009 12:17 AM

Ugh...Clouds, I wasn't even aware that people did this. It looks ridiculous.

CloudsMystique 10-07-2009 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 422043)
Someday, I will HAVE to teach mine to bow so that I can get on. Will do it like the second horse though. The first just looks uncomfortable.

It's a great trick, especially if you trail ride a lot. If you ever get hurt on the trail and need help getting on, it makes it a lot easier. Or if you trail ride bareback and don't have a log or fence to stand on. I trail ride a lot... by myself AND bareback, so I'm planning on teaching my mare to lay down in case I break my leg or something and need to ride back to the barn.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 422043)
Completely off topic but the mane on that gray is absolutely stunning!!!

Oh my god, I know! I would love to know how to do that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goddess of Judecca (Post 422044)
Oh god. Whoever taught their horse to bow like the former should be beaten with a brick.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lori1983 (Post 422049)
Ugh...Clouds, I wasn't even aware that people did this. It looks ridiculous.

Yeah, I know... I've seen several people actually on this forum who've done it like that, so that's why I decided to post this.

CloudsMystique 10-07-2009 12:20 AM

Oh, and another thing - Don't do it on gravel or pavement! This should be common sense, but I've seen it done so many times.

BaliDoll 10-07-2009 12:28 AM

wow... that looks painful :(

Erin_And_Jasper 10-07-2009 12:29 AM

my horse was trained to do it the first way. im going to reteach him so it wont hurt my baby

CloudsMystique 10-07-2009 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin_And_Jasper (Post 422066)
my horse was trained to do it the first way. im going to reteach him so it wont hurt my baby

Good, I'm glad : ]

smrobs 10-07-2009 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CloudsMystique (Post 422053)
It's a great trick, especially if you trail ride a lot. If you ever get hurt on the trail and need help getting on, it makes it a lot easier. Or if you trail ride bareback and don't have a log or fence to stand on. I trail ride a lot... by myself AND bareback, so I'm planning on teaching my mare to lay down in case I break my leg or something and need to ride back to the barn.

Mine is not so much that I worry about getting hurt (though that is an idea), it's that my future horses are much taller than I will be able to vault onto. John right now is 18hh and my goal is to be able to ride him around bareback and I have little doubt that Rafe will be no less than 17hh. Bareback is my main mode of transport in winter cause it is so much warmer and I can't exactly carry a ladder around with me :lol:. I may start working on that with John and Dobe, Rafe can wait. He is still getting the whole "hold up your feet for the farrier" thing down and I don't want to confuse him.