The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Wind twisted mane...... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/wind-twisted-mane-37652/)

CopperHorse 10-07-2009 04:27 PM

Wind twisted mane......

I don't have a ton of time to go out an groom daily, but my husbands gelding has a LONG beautiful mane. Well today I had to cut like 4 inches off of it because from him eating and the wind twisting his mane it got so knotted up I couldn't get it out this time with baby oil.

I am afraid of braiding it because I cant keep a close eye on it or groom daily, plus I don't want the bands to tangle into his mane. Any other ideas?? I usually keep show sheen on hand, it seems to help if I groom his mane with it once a week, but it still twists just not as bad.

LadyDreamer 10-07-2009 04:38 PM

When you cut, cut down. From the crest towards the ground. This will loosen the knots and allow you to save as much of the mane as possible.

LeahKathleen 10-07-2009 04:49 PM

Try a mane tamer or a slinky... those are the best ideas I have. My horses get them too, and I can usually get them out with a conditioner/water/comb combo.

MacabreMikolaj 10-07-2009 05:50 PM

Satin Sheen is your friend. It's not full of nasty silicone like Show Sheen which is actually detrimental to the equine coat. Satin Sheen not only produces a beautiful shine, it makes hair silky soft. My Arab mare has a very long mane and I've had to attack her numerous times with baby oil. Not only will Satin Sheen prevent it from tangling, it's also a joy when they get knots and mud in their manes - soak it with Satin Sheen and just let it sit for 24 hours and the next day it combs out like nothing.

Haley 10-07-2009 06:17 PM

Like Miko said Satin Sheen, Cowboy Magic Shine & Detangler, or Ultra brand Salon Magic from Schneiders are all wonderful, magical products that help get knots out. You just glob it on, let it sit, and comb it out. Always give it a try before taking scissors to hair!

smrobs 10-08-2009 02:28 AM

Ugh, those witch's stirrups are nasty things but generally, if you just kinda slow down and look, they are fairly simple to get out with some kind of lubrication. Baby oil, show sheen, or even WD-40 work great (though WD-40 would be my last choice cause of the chemicals in it). On my horses that get them, they are almost like they were braided/twisted more so than knotted and once I get going, they are fairly easy to work out. You could always keep his mane trimmed to a more manageable length.

CopperHorse 10-08-2009 12:44 PM

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I was able to get the twists out without cutting to much off his mane, only lost about 3-4 inches (his mane was about 16 inches long). Luckily, just the very ends were in bad knots and the rest I just had to untwist and comb out very well. I think I may try to braid his mane. I really don't want to have to cut it short, he has a gorgeous mane and his forelock is down to his nose!!

dashygirl 10-08-2009 04:06 PM

My mare's mane does the same thing, if I don't have it braided 24/7 it gets knotted instantly. What do you have against braiding it? I find braids to be quite low maintenance, just make them loose and you only need to re-braid once a month or so.

weefoal 10-11-2009 07:56 AM

The horse in my avatar has the longest mane of any of our horses. And it has a natural curl to it so twists in minutes. I have started spraying his mane with Olive Oil Conditioning sheen Spray and it has really helped keep it from twisting. I also use this spray to get twists out. Just a side note I also used this spray on the bodies of show horses this year and wow it just makes them sparkle. Everyone was asking what I used LOL I buy it at Walmart as they have the best price on it

arabchica 10-11-2009 09:10 AM

masking tape to tie off the ends of your braids poor folks got poor ways