The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Day Light Savings Time. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/day-light-savings-time-37758/)

Lucara 10-09-2009 12:56 PM

Day Light Savings Time.

Okay so I'm really kinda getting bummed/nervous. Duchess needs a lot of work but with winter approaching, its getting dark much faster.
By 7:30 its getting so dark I can't really see much of anything. I don't know what I'm going to do when it starts getting dark at 5. Last year, 6pm looked like it was 9pm!

I wont be able to get out of work in time to do anything with her! I don't even know if there will be enough light left to even groom her. There are no lights out at the barn.

What do you guys do when this happens?

dee 10-09-2009 01:54 PM

Personally, I don't know how any of you get so much riding time in during the week. I read where you have hour, hour and a half rides 2-3 times a week and longer ones on the weekends. I leave for work at 06:30 and don't get home until 19:00. By the time the horses, chickens, goats, dogs and husband are fed, my evenings are shot! Weekends = laundry, house cleaning, pen cleaning, nest cleaning, grooming etc.

Now that it's getting dark so early, I'm in the same boat as you are, Lucara. I told hubby he was going to have to rig up some drop lights just so I can see well enough to find the feed barrels and fill the feed buckets!

roro 10-09-2009 01:58 PM

I get home from school around 4:15 and in the heart of winter it is already dusk at that time. I would highly recommend looking into barn and or arena lights. What are you planning to do with her in the evening? As in do you want to ride after work or just clean her stall/turn out etc? If your horse is calm enough, you can usually get away with grooming in the dark, feeding in the dark etc as long as you have a headlamp or flashlight for you in case you need it. The problem with these is that you don't want to look the horse in the face with a headlamp and it is only one small ray of light. In general, working with horses in the dark without lights is more dangerous because the horse is more alert and you can't see as well. Horses have pretty good night vision, but people don't. The horse will see something scary long before you do.

FGRanch 10-09-2009 02:35 PM

I ride very litte in the winter unfortunatly.

My Beau 10-09-2009 03:18 PM

I'm not looking forward to it either. Luckily my college classes are MWF and I'm done by 1, but then there's work til 9. So the few days a week it's light out when I'm home my QH has to be worked since we have dressage shows planned out into the winter. And we fed at 6 all summer so it was cooler out, now we're probably bumping feeding up to 4 :(

mls 10-09-2009 04:03 PM

We a lighted round pen and and indoor arena. :twisted:

Sissimut-icehestar 10-09-2009 04:31 PM

I'm at 64 North so you can imagine my situation in winter.
But thankfully some trails/arenas are lit up, so I can get some riding done :)

BrokenWings 10-09-2009 04:39 PM

Isn't it depressing? I don't make it to the farm until about 6 pm, so by the time you get out there, groom and tack up it's dark. We've actually pretty much ditched during the week unless it's for ferrier visits (barn has light, but not outdoor arena) I wish the sand ring were lit, but then our board would be a fortune, so I just put up and shut up.

Lucara 10-09-2009 11:19 PM

I'm not swapping barns because my instructor/trainer is here and the board is dirt cheap.
I'm wanting to work on her trot because we both need LOTS of work on it but it has to be on the lunge line and my instructor doesn't get off of work until 5:30 :(. I guess it will just be weekends for us then..

*sigh*..