The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (
-   Horse Talk (/horse-talk/)
-   -   Just want an opinion (

Alycat 10-09-2009 03:07 PM

Just want an opinion
I just wanted an opinion on what most people would do if they were in my situation. Now this moment is a long way off but it is killing me inside just thinking about it...

I am currently living in Germany and since living over here have gotten my very first horse. She is a lovely 17.1 hand chestnut Hanoverian. She turned 12 this year and takes extremely good care of me. I've had her for two years and basically I love her to death. Now, for me personally, I'm not one to get an animal and then sell it. I grow very attached and want to keep my animals until they pass on. Here comes my dilemma. This coming summer I am moving back to the states and will be attending college (I'm already in college I'm just doing a transfer.) My parents have said if I can pay for half of the cost for sending my mare back to the states they will help me with the rest. I have almost reached that goal. YAY! But my parents are now talking about selling my mare and just buying another one back in the states. I don't know if I can part with my girl. She has taught me so much and can teach me so much more.

I know it is ultimately my choice but I guess basically I just want an opinion on what some of you, more experienced (and knowledgeable! lol) horse people would do. Is it worth selling a best friend or keeping her?


FoxyRoxy1507 10-09-2009 04:08 PM

IMO- i would never sell my horse just to move back, they go where i got period! i love my boys and couldnt imagine selling them for any reason.

Spastic_Dove 10-09-2009 04:11 PM

Logically, the best idea is to sell her and get a new horse. It's less stressful on her and cheaper.

Emotionally though, I'd want to being her with me. I have had the same dilema with Diesel.

LeahKathleen 10-09-2009 04:20 PM

I agree with Spastic - but I'd probably ship her myself too.

Alycat 10-09-2009 04:30 PM

Thank you for the replies. I realize it would logically be cheaper and less stressful on her but I just can't think about parting with her! I also love the thought of how she would be in a better place in the states. Over here she has no fields to run in due to space issues. :?


Spastic_Dove 10-09-2009 04:52 PM

Could you keep her over there and move over without her. Once you find a place and have enough money saved up, you could ship her over?

Alycat 10-09-2009 05:45 PM

Unfortunately that wouldn't be an option. I have time to find a place to board her before I get back. If I left her here, my parents would say she needs to be sold. She either comes back or we have to sell her.

Again, my dilemma. I just feel guilty having my parents pay for the other half. It is an expenisve gift to ask for. BUT I adore my pretty girl. lol

Saskia 10-09-2009 07:12 PM

Its a big decision to make.

I would be inclined to sell her. As far as I can see you are only going to be losing money, shipping her across. In addition, she has to deal with all the stress, possibly quarantine and then get used to a different climate.

Personally, I cannot fathom how people spend that much money on horses. Shipping across would be really, expensive, and you probably forked out a bit for the purchase price. Wouldn't you prefer to spend the money you have saved as a down payment for a house or something?

Sometimes I wonder how people can be so different. I currently live of about NZD$180 a week, you would probably spend more transporting your horse than I get in a year.

Still, if its an option for you and you want to do it, then I guess you can do it.

Alycat 10-10-2009 10:11 AM

That's why I am so torn. Like I keep saying (lol) my horse is my baby. I adore her so much. But I realize that shipping her would cost A LOT. She would be quarantined and I know she would definitely have to adjust to the climate. It would be nice to have the money I have saved up to transport her to go towards something in my future but I often wonder. How often would I regret selling my best friend? :cry:

Chavez 10-10-2009 10:25 AM

I would ship her. I find it very hard to bond with a horse and no 2 bonds are the same. When I was 18 i sold my 4-h pony who i had the most amzing bond with cuz i wanted something bigger . Well 10 years later i JUST found a horse i bonded with like her. I mean i love all my horses and they are my babies but we just did not have the "connection"

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome