The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Bees....Make em go away? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/bees-make-em-go-away-37765/)

free_sprtd 10-09-2009 03:09 PM

Bees....Make em go away?

Yesterday, I went out to visit my boy and he had bees at him left and right. Honey bees and the big black ones. I sprayed him with fly spray and hoped it was good enough. He was kicking himself and looked miserable. Poor guy. There wasn't a hive, but just a few scattered bees. Someone told me rub dryer sheets on them, is this true? Any other suggestions are welcomed. thanks guys!

appylover31803 10-09-2009 03:18 PM

I have NO idea if this will work, but you know the saying you catch more bees with honey than you do with vinegar? Do you think if you sprayed Thunder with vinegar it would keep them away?

free_sprtd 10-09-2009 03:20 PM

hahahha I dont' know...theres an idea. maybe ill google it! hehe

roro 10-09-2009 04:23 PM

Kill the *******s. You can look around for bee traps and if the problem is getting worse or is a real nuisance , especially if the nest is on the property, then you must call in the exterminator. My indoor arena got a nest during the summer and the only way to get rid of it was to get the exterminator to spray it with something. If you get the exterminator, you have to watch with the chemical he uses and ask how long you and your horse should stay away from the area after it is sprayed.

Bee traps are relatively cheap (often less than $15) and easy to use, just place them near the problem area and all you have to do is clean and refill every once in a while. As a side note, putting them right next to your stall can be a little risky considering that the trap attracts the bees first and then they have to fly in before they are trapped.

free_sprtd 10-09-2009 04:26 PM

ok thanks!