The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   AQHA bloodlines (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/aqha-bloodlines-37800/)

Kentucky 10-10-2009 12:38 AM

AQHA bloodlines

While some Impressive bred horses are know to carry HYPP, and Leo bred horses are known as a good general purpose horse. What are some of the common believes and/ or traits common in certain AQHA bloodlines? And how do some cross up on each other?

My Beau 10-10-2009 09:44 AM

I don't know too much about AQHA lines, but here's what I've read/heard:

Impressive lines - Need repetition when training. Good on cows.
Poco Bueno lines - Easy to handle.
Zippo lines - Good mind, but sometimes stubborn.
Wimpy lines - Very athletic.

Of course, a lot depends on the mare, too.

Tennessee 10-10-2009 10:06 AM

Like I said earlier, Hancock lines are known for being extremely hard to train. That doesn't mean all of them are, though, just most.

close2prfct 10-10-2009 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennessee (Post 424652)
Like I said earlier, Hancock lines are known for being extremely hard to train. That doesn't mean all of them are, though, just most.

I have always heard they tend to be a real bronc when first starting training..
I owned a Hancock mare that was anything but a bronc, so yeah they aren't all difficult.

Cat 10-10-2009 07:41 PM

Dynamic Deluxe lines are great for Western Pleasure. Tend to be real laid back and easy to train.

Erin_And_Jasper 10-10-2009 08:01 PM

i knew some good Zippo horses (timp to Zip it Up, any one?) who were great WP mounts and a horse named Leaguers Last who was a top WP mount back in the '90s

farmpony84 10-10-2009 08:54 PM

I have two Impressive's.... They have a stubburn streak but tons of personality...

FGRanch 10-10-2009 09:38 PM

I don't think you can really generalize. Horses all have different personalities and I don't think bloodlines have alot to do with it.

I had one Hancock mare that was a real snake, she was impossible.

The other 10ish Hancock horses I worked with here excellent minded horses.

I had one Zippo Pine mare that was awesome, another one that bucked like a man woman.

New_image 10-13-2009 12:18 PM

I don't think you can really generalize. Horses all have different personalities and I don't think bloodlines have alot to do with it.

I agree there to an extent, While I don't think you can deem all Hancock horses as had to break and all Zippo horses as something else... A lot of personality IS passed down threw parents who got it from there parents and so fourth.

My appendix colt for example, His dam is Calvin Sacket/Dodgers Playboy bred Foundation QH and he carries about 25% of her personality traits, expressions etc. While his sire is a Raise A Native son, Thoroughbred. From what I've read on and known of his sire he was athletic but lazy and also 98% of the pictures of his sire are of him rearing, bucking, hopping, leaping and bounding in one way or another... 75% of my colts personality is more athletic than any horse I've known but just you try to get him to move! Lazy! Slow. BUT boy does he like to show off bucking, rearing, hopping, leaping and bounding like his sire... when its his idea of course.

That said I can't say all of this stallions foals are like this, but I knew many who are. And I'm sure this is passed on from his foals to there foals and so on.

Back to the question I have owned four (training project/resce) Zippo bred horses and known friends with two - All have been stubborn and to put it bluntly quite dumb. It might just be the luck of the draw on who I've had/known but might be a streak in the line.

nrhareiner 10-13-2009 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FehrGroundRanch (Post 425099)

To a large extent you can. I can look at a set of papers and be about 90% accurate at what type of horse it will be in many respects. Are there exceptions?? Yes there are. However they are just that exceptions and the rule will apply more then not.