The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Driving (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/)
-   -   How Old???? (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/how-old-37808/)

sophie123 10-10-2009 04:06 AM

How Old????

I have recently got two fillies, they have come of the new forest and have never been handled. So i plan to break them to drive before i ride them. I have brocken my shetland to drive but that was alot easier than i expected. How hard is it to break young horses to drive? But how old do they have to be before i begin their education in driving?

jimmy 10-10-2009 12:29 PM

i start long reining them as yearlings you can start a lot earlier to drive then you can ride with them not carrying weight

AlmagroN 10-11-2009 05:23 PM

break them as yearlings. its easier because they are small enough so that they dont overpower you if they throw a fit. and at their age they are like a little sponge and learn so fast.

if you need any pointers with breaking a young one, PM me. i can probably help!

sophie123 10-12-2009 12:28 PM

Can i drive them as yearlings or just long rein?

AlmagroN 10-13-2009 07:58 AM

light driving is fine. as long as they arent doing heavy work. my STB yearling is driving about 1-2 miles a day right now that shes broke.

sophie123 10-13-2009 12:48 PM

oh right
thanks

CheyAut 10-14-2009 07:50 AM

My trainer won't even take one in for driving training until it's 2.5 years old, and I agree with her.

CowGirlUp9448 10-14-2009 07:55 AM

Yeah my babies won't go into training until they are at the Earliest 2 years. I prefer to wait til they are 3 years though. I have been doing a little ground driving now though.

AlmagroN 10-14-2009 08:05 AM

we break everything as yearlings, and start light driving. at 2 they start training down and if they are fast and strong enough they start racing. if not, they start racing at 3 or sometimes 4 instead.

i have mixed emotions about racing at 2. but as far as just light work, i see no problem as starting them as yearlings and getting them broke.

also remember these are full sized horses, not minis. so they are a lot larger as yearlings than the minis are. and especially at 2 and 3 they are a lot larger.

CowGirlUp9448 10-14-2009 09:31 AM

I was refering to how we do the drafts as well not just my minis. :) I believe in doing the ground driving but not actually letting them pull anything as yearlings. They are still babies, we wouldn't have actual human babies doing anything at a year old :) That's all I mean. And depending on the breed also.. Some breeds mature faster then others. But if you still a horse to soon (as far as work goes) the sooner they will have issues as an older horse (like arthatis(sp) in some cases not all).