The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   2 yr old Shire Gelding!! :D (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/2-yr-old-shire-gelding-d-37833/)

horseluver50 10-10-2009 04:09 PM

2 yr old Shire Gelding!! :D

I found this guy!

Castanet Classifieds - 2007 Stunning Purebred Black Shire Gelding

OMG! he is perfect! Except for the fact that he is not broke, but the owners said he is bombproof, and very easy to train. Shires are supposed to be the most quiet draft horses out there.

He is gorgoeus colouring and conformation.. I have always wanted a BLACK shire!! eeek!

He is in the town right next to me.

I have an aunt who has been around horses her entire life, who does a bit of horse training, and she can help me out with training.

What do you think!? :D

Gillian 10-10-2009 04:21 PM

I like him a lot better for riding than the other guy. :]
He's definitely handsome and I love his long legs. Though since he's young he'll probably grow into them, ha ha. I'd take a look!

horseluver50 10-10-2009 04:26 PM

Quote:

I like him a lot better for riding than the other guy. :]
He's definitely handsome and I love his long legs. Though since he's young he'll probably grow into them, ha ha. I'd take a look!
I'm glad you agree with me :) I think he looks alot suitabler for riding as well. I love his long legs! hehe.
Another thing, when going to look at a young horse, should I lunge him, and pick out feet etc. to get a feeling for his temperment?

Do you think his price is fair?

Cat 10-10-2009 04:28 PM

I love this guy! Conformational-wise he has one of the nicest draft conformations I have seen for riding. He is a bit butt-high but that is most likely because he is still growing.

As long as he is everything they say he is personality-wise, he would make an awesome horse. I know he would be more than welcome in my pastures. :)

horseluver50 10-10-2009 04:31 PM

Wow! I am glad you think his conformation is good :)
hehe. I sent the owners a detailed email about what I would use him for, so I am excited to hear what they say! :D

thanks!

AussieDaisyGirl 10-10-2009 04:31 PM

I agree, he's got a bit of growing into himself to do, but he's gorgeous! Definitely more appropriate for riding than the other guy.
Absolutely go check him out!

Cat 10-10-2009 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horseluver50 (Post 424851)
I'm glad you agree with me :) I think he looks alot suitabler for riding as well. I love his long legs! hehe.
Another thing, when going to look at a young horse, should I lunge him, and pick out feet etc. to get a feeling for his temperment?

Do you think his price is fair?

As to a fair price - I don't know what the going prices are in your area, so that is hard to say. Around here a GOOD draft horse still brings in a fair price compared to some of the lighter breeds. I personally would not balk at that price for that horse.

As to what you should do with a young horse is find out where he is in training from his current owner and then do what groundwork they say he is used too. Lunging could be part of it (good time to see his movements), and/or ground driving. Even if he is not ready to ride, it looks like they have had tack on him - groom him & tack him to see how he handles it. Take him for a walk on the lead to see how he handles things outside of the arena. Does he do the basics like lead nicely, respect your space, pick up his feet, let you touch sensitive areas in the loin & on the belly. My biggest concern with young horses, especially big ones like this, is if they are respectful to a person's space.

Many things can be trained/retrained, but how much you want to do depends on your level of experience.

horseluver50 10-10-2009 04:35 PM

yay! I'm glad so many people like him! :D
If I were to get him, I have a feeling there would be alot of jealous horse people! lol
And, if he is what the owners say he is, I think I am going to love him til I die!

And, since he is only 2 yrs old, almost 3, I can train him, and have him until I am 40!
I will talk it over with my aunt and my parents again, and see when we can check him out :D

Cat 10-10-2009 04:36 PM

Good luck and keep us updated!

horseluver50 10-10-2009 04:37 PM

Quote:

As to what you should do with a young horse is find out where he is in training from his current owner and then do what groundwork they say he is used too. Lunging could be part of it (good time to see his movements), and/or ground driving. Even if he is not ready to ride, it looks like they have had tack on him - groom him & tack him to see how he handles it. Take him for a walk on the lead to see how he handles things outside of the arena. Does he do the basics like lead nicely, respect your space, pick up his feet, let you touch sensitive areas in the loin & on the belly. My biggest concern with young horses, especially big ones like this, is if they are respectful to a person's space
Oh thats great! thanks! It says he is bomproof, and gentle, so hopefully he respects space and doesnt run me over!
Thanks for the advice :)
I am real excited now!