The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Coconut oil? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/coconut-oil-378617/)

Love my paint 03-12-2014 02:53 PM

Coconut oil?

I have a paint gelding that has a beautiful long mane and tail. His tail touches the ground and is very thick. His mane is also quit thick, but his mane and tail are both very brittle. I was wondering about coconut oil. Has anyone tried it?

SullysRider 03-12-2014 02:56 PM

Love coconut oil for hair, best stuff I've found honestly.

its lbs not miles 03-12-2014 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Love my paint (Post 4951865)
I have a paint gelding that has a beautiful long mane and tail. His tail touches the ground and is very thick. His mane is also quit thick, but his mane and tail are both very brittle. I was wondering about coconut oil. Has anyone tried it?

It's the only thing I every put on mine's mane, tail or forelock. Helps if I need to untangle anything. Gives a healthy shine (while also being healthy for the hair). Is absorbed naturally so there's no need to remove it.

People waste a load of money buying "horsey" stuff for the manes and tails when all they need to do is stop by the grocery store and pick up some coconut oil.

Love my paint 03-12-2014 06:04 PM

Ok thanks everyone!

Zeke 03-12-2014 06:09 PM

I've used it on my own hair and skin and love it :) so I'm sure it would work great, be safe and smell awesome on your boy!

jmike 03-12-2014 06:41 PM

i use it for oil-pulling -- makes my teeth feel great

and popcorn

Missy May 03-17-2014 01:22 AM

Like zeke, I use it on my own hair just before I shampoo (I let it soak in). For my horses, I use it either hours or a full day before I shampoo their mane and tails. Their is a difference between fractured/cold pressed, etc., but the results seem about the same. Anyway, I do not leave it in more that a day on my horses b/c it collects dirt big time. If I am not going to shampoo their main/t - I use vetrolin, dirt does not stick to it.