The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Handling Foals (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/handling-foals-37891/)

bubblegum 10-11-2009 11:47 AM

Handling Foals

I am getting two foals in two weeks, one of them is halter trained and will lead but the other one is not halter broken and will not lead, they are both 5 months old and i have not dealt with foals much in my life let alone halter break them.

should i stable them in a double stable for a couple of weeks until they are halter broken and trust me before i move them to the field thats like 400 metres away, need to be able to lead them to do this obviously, whats the best way and nicest way to halter break and lead? will post pics of them soon

Alicia 10-11-2009 12:13 PM

I've seen people put halters on their foals with the lead attached and let them walk around like that(you need to keep an eye on them while like this though so they don't get hurt). This way they get used to the feel of the halter and get an idea about giveing to pressure when they step on the lead themselves. I have met a lot of people who rescue foals do this.
I would also stable them until their comfortable with the halter and you handleing them.
Good luck and go slow.

My2Geldings 10-11-2009 12:24 PM

There are a lot of ways to do it. The one I always choose is to simply halter him, feed him (so he associates halter with a treat after beign caught). Once he understands the haltering end of things put him in a round pen or paddock and try to lead him. Back him up, turn him left and right. Get him to move off hand pressure and slowly add moving forward to the combination.

Every horse is different and there are different methods to teach them to lead. Using an experienced horse along for a walk and taking him out is also another great way. He will want to follow the horse you are taking it but you can add more and more work and asking him more and more things as you do take him out.

I have no idea if I'm making sense. I've halter broke dozens of horses and as you know they have all different tempers and levels of stubborness so you got to find tricks to get them trained.

Foals are a lot of fun. Come back and post pictures :-)

dw9501 10-11-2009 07:55 PM

I started haltering my foal when he was 2 weeks old.

Once you get the foal try the halter and if the foal has any problems with it you can try the method I used.

I took a regular (cheap) halter and cut off the metal and replaced it with glued on velcro.

I would put this velcro halter on the foal prior to feeding and leave it on for an hour (you should still be close by just in case). This allows the foal to get used to the feel of the halter and gets the foal to associate the halter with being fed. It only took a few days for my foal (and the cost of the halter that couldn't be used later) to get him used to the halter without risk of injury.

Afterwards alway put the halter on the foals prior to feeding so that they learn to more willing to accept the halter.

Britt 10-11-2009 08:26 PM

When I taught my gelding to lead at two weeks old, I used a butt-rope to encourage him to walk... he picked it up really fast.

bubblegum 10-12-2009 09:08 AM

bumpity bump