The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   How should I go about building my barn (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/how-should-i-go-about-building-37915/)

EventersBabe 10-11-2009 04:10 PM

How should I go about building my barn

We are moving in a few years and I want to make a plan on what I am going to build how many stalls etc.
I plan on running a boarding facility. I planned on building a barn with a living quarters since I wanna be on my own kind of so I thought a living quarters in my barn.:lol:

Anyways any ideas?

My2Geldings 10-13-2009 04:05 PM

I would be worrying about "those plans" once you're actually in a position where you can do it. A lot of things can happen and change your plan of building.
Having said that, most libraries or book stores have books on barn/stable construction.

Cheers.

justsambam08 10-13-2009 10:35 PM

I would say avoid the types of barns where there is one center aisle and all of the horses stalls face each other.....a lot of horse diseases are spread through the air, so a common breeze way would make it easier for multiple horses to contract the same thing.

Air conditioned tack rooms are always nice xD.

LadyDreamer 10-14-2009 02:13 AM

Wait on your new property until a, or a few good rains occur. Nothing is worse than having your barn flood. Knowing what your drainage patterns are can help you plan around it, or help you change it. Know your land.

back in the crosby again 10-21-2009 11:26 AM

I planned a million different barns before we bought our property and the barn that I am building is none of those. The way of your land and the amount of money you end up having changes everything. Still, it is a lot of fun to plan barns.

First think of all the barns you have been to what did you like about them and what did you not. Try to think about what did not work out in those barns or what about them made something hard to do and then try to think of a way to do it differently. Google barn plans and barn builders they tend to have floor plans available to look at.

The one thing that I did not think about at first was hay storage. I like to have a few months worth of hay for my horses, especially in winter when hay prices go up and the same hay that you bought for $4 a bale is now $5 or $6 a bale.

There is a barn builder in Georgia that has a lot of really good plans on his website is Bentley Horse Barns (warning there is annoying music when you open the site sometimes) I think he even has plans with living quarters.

shortbusgeek 10-28-2009 11:49 AM

back_in_the_crosby_again - Thanks for the link to Bentley! Hadn't seen them yet, and we're in the process of researching building an eco friendly barn in North Georgia. I'll probably be giving them a call for a quote in the next six months or so. :-)

Jones 01-28-2011 02:19 PM

I hired this barn builder and was very dissatisfied. Things were not built to specifications and they never finished the job and I had to hire a lawyer. BIG MESS AND LOSS OF MONEY AND TIME! I've heard similar stories. Please do your homework and check out any builder before you use them with the BBB and past or existing court case information that can easily be found online. Anyone can create good testimonials. If you see good plans, copy the pictures and hire a real professional. You don't need a barn builder to build a barn but a set of good blue prints and a licensed, insured builder with a good history. Also ask for a copy of the full insurance policy, not just the declaration page, before you commit, so you can determine if there is appropriate coverage if something goes wrong. No one has to give it to you afterwards, when it's too late.

Alwaysbehind 01-28-2011 02:35 PM

Make sure zoning & codes where you are moving to allows you to build a barn with an apartment. It is not a given that this is allowed.

xXEventerXx 01-29-2011 11:49 PM

Im planning on building a Barn pros! there my all time fav barn and im gunna have the living quarters up stairs.

2BDeyes 02-20-2011 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jones (Post 907694)
I hired this barn builder and was very dissatisfied. Things were not built to specifications and they never finished the job and I had to hire a lawyer. BIG MESS AND LOSS OF MONEY AND TIME! I've heard similar stories. Please do your homework and check out any builder before you use them with the BBB and past or existing court case information that can easily be found online. Anyone can create good testimonials. If you see good plans, copy the pictures and hire a real professional. You don't need a barn builder to build a barn but a set of good blue prints and a licensed, insured builder with a good history. Also ask for a copy of the full insurance policy, not just the declaration page, before you commit, so you can determine if there is appropriate coverage if something goes wrong. No one has to give it to you afterwards, when it's too late.

To: "Jones"
I would love to hear more about your experience with Mr. Bentley. I know someone who has a lawsuit with him. any info you have may be helpful. He filed for personal bankruptcy last year. Be aware of the other businesses he is involved with.... "Barn Guru" "Barn Solutions" "Equine Barn Company" These companies Have all the same players... but no mention of Bentley but he is involved!!!