The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Walking horse SHOW and BIT questions (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/walking-horse-show-bit-questions-38077/)

farmpony84 10-13-2009 12:50 PM

Walking horse SHOW and BIT questions

I have a 12 year old that is a very talented rider coming out to ride Sierra a few times a week. Sierra does not have any papers but is a full blooded TWH.

What types of shows can I take her to that she would be judged fairly? She rides her in an english saddle with my western bridle. It's a low port but I really think she would go pretty easily in any bit. What type of bit is the PROPER english bit for a walking horse? It does not need to be harsh because she knows what whoa means....

Thanks for any help. ALSO, I saw there is a walking horse show series a few hours away, do they typically have open classes for unregistered horses?

southerncowgirl93 10-14-2009 08:48 PM

She can do 4-H without the horse having to be registered and saddle club shows and the state saddle club show, but as far as that, I'm not really sure what other shows she could do w/o it being registered. Sorry. :(

As for the bit, she can ride in a curb, snaffle, or a Tom thumb. Doesn't really matter.

Sunny06 10-14-2009 09:10 PM

What do you mean by 'fairly'?

Any fun shows, Walking Horse sanction shows, Rescue League sponsor shows, etc. Anything except shows that specifically want trotting horses, and even then some are leniant (sp?).

As for the bit, anything you feel like using.

The usual is just the standard TWH bit that is both Western and English, but really, it dosen't really matter.

Sanction shows may have stricter rules on that.... But fun shows don't care at all. They see a TWH as any horse. You gait when they trot, and flat walk when they walk (or at least that's what I've done. You don't always have to necessarily flat walk).

southerncowgirl93 10-14-2009 09:34 PM

Well, all the sanctioned shows I've been too they have to be registered.

Sunny06 10-14-2009 10:01 PM

Sanction, yes. Fun, no.

hccumminssmoke 10-19-2009 03:59 PM

Fun Shows or 4H no papers...

Nate

farmpony84 10-19-2009 04:04 PM

I wasn't as concerned about the papers as the fact that it does not trot. it gaits.

hccumminssmoke 10-19-2009 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmpony84 (Post 433501)
I wasn't as concerned about the papers as the fact that it does not trot. it gaits.

Most fun shows (like the one i was at yeaterday) they have a couple walking horse classes, a mountain horse class, and western...they are walk and FAVORITE GAIT....so some trot, pace, rack...I think its hard to judge a pacey horse against a racking horse, but they do it....so not every class requires them to trot...

Nate

southerncowgirl93 10-19-2009 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmpony84 (Post 433501)

Like HC said, fun shows usually(as far as I know) will have a class or two. You may be able to find a Walking/Racking saddle club near you, and in 4-H (at least TN) There is a division specifically for Walking/Racking horses. :lol: