The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   What do you think? (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/what-do-you-think-38114/)

Gillian 10-13-2009 08:36 PM

What do you think?

Alright so I just switched my horse to a french link bit today and he absolutely loved it. Responded beautifully and was light in the bridle, playing with the bit (in a good way) and very happy. I got off and walked over to some barn people to chat. I did a summer camp with one of the ladies when she had her own barn about three years ago. She does natural horsemanship/parelli with her horses. She told me that the french link would cause him discomfort and to buy a parelli confidence bit(?). Yeah, like I'd shell out god know how much money for a bit that is EXACTLY like a Myler bit. She showed it to me today, it's the same bit. I told her that I respect her opinion but the french link is a perfectly mild bit and he really liked it. I'm still friends with her, gonna go trail riding with her this week and all. Her horses are very well trained, respectful and happy. Different strokes for different folks I say. I understand how nice the myler bit could be, but WHY would the parelli version of the SAME bit be any better? I just don't get it, honestly. And this is't because I don't understand parelli. Trust me I do. I went to a clinic and I use some of their methods for ground work. I think parts of it are great (even if alot of it is common sense).

Wasn't sure whether to post this in tack, or training.
So it's here. Just share your opinion would you?
:]

Bit info borrowed from JDI's thread in tack.

Myler/ Billy Allen
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...ment/Myler.jpg
Very nice mild mouthpiece. The barrel serves two functions: an anatomical curve without allowing the bit to collapse inwards, and independent side action. This bit cannot have a crackerjack action, as it does not collapse. The independent side action is common to all double joint bits, bit seems to be more refined in this mouthpiece. Really a nice, nice mouthpiece.

French Link
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...FrenchLink.jpg
A very mild bit that has two joints. Having two joints eliminates the crackerjack action on the tongue, eliminates upward flexion, and has a more “full mouth” feel to it. This type of bit works well on horses with all varieties of palate heights. A favorite of many horses.

Gillian 10-13-2009 09:01 PM

The myler bit may not be the right one, but I'm SURE that there's a similar if not the exact same bit as the "parelli confidence bit" out there. Anyway, my question is more about how the french link could be "harsh". Especially when ridden in with soft hands. I just don't get it...

Spirithorse 10-13-2009 10:02 PM

Uhg, I REALLY don't like it when Parelli people try to shove things down other's throats! If your horse is happy with a french link, then stay in the french link! Goodness sakes! lol

Anywho....the Parelli confidence snaffle is actually the JP by Korsteel copper oval mouth loose ring snaffle. You can buy it out of Dover Saddlery catalog, and other catalogs as well....for cheaper! That's what I did. It is different than a french link in a couple subtle ways....it's thicker and the link in the middle is round, not flat. And that's about it! lol. I will say the JP bit does contour to the horse's mouth better than a french link, but like I said, if your horse says he's happy, then don't worry about it! :)

Gillian 10-14-2009 06:13 AM

I wasn't planning on switching from the french link, but was pretty ticked that she was trying to make me feel bad about the bit I was using. I just nodded and told her that Zeus was very happy in it, but thank you for the suggestion. This was definitely more of a vent, ha ha, but seriously. I respect their methods/opinion, so they should respect mine.

Spirithorse 10-14-2009 10:23 AM

You handled it well :) I'm sure her suggestion came from a good place, but she still needs to respect your opinion.

kevinshorses 10-14-2009 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gillian (Post 428115)
The myler bit may not be the right one, but I'm SURE that there's a similar if not the exact same bit as the "parelli confidence bit" out there. Anyway, my question is more about how the french link could be "harsh". Especially when ridden in with soft hands. I just don't get it...

If you're using soft hands then no bit is harsh. I will say that again for emphasis. IF YOU USE YOUR HANDS PROPERLY NO BIT IS HARSH.

JustDressageIt 10-14-2009 12:54 PM

I think you handled it really well! I agree with Spirithorse - if your horse is happy, why change anything?
I'm very glad you found a bit that works well for you and Zeus!!