The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Uncontrollable! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/uncontrollable-3816/)

LukeyD 10-11-2007 11:17 PM

Uncontrollable!

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm trying to switch Luke from a kimberwicke to a snaffle. Luke is a 5 year old ex-race Thoroughbred gelding.

So, today I decided to quick hop on Luke bareback and plop around on him. We warmed up, did nice sloooww jog/trots, etc. etc. I asked him to canter, and I couldn't get him to stop! Well, after awhile I could, but I was doing so many half halts, and he still ignored them. I tried to circle him to get him to slow but he kept tripping and I didn't want us to fall down. Finally I just yanked (I know, really bad of me) back on his bit sharply and he stopped cantering. I got quite nervous and decided to just walk/trot the rest of the time. But the thing that confused me was that on our lesson on tues. he always slowed when I told him to, I even practiced some really basic lateral things. It was a little bit cooler today, but not much difference than on tues. He had his snaffle on tues. and today. Why did he act this way? I'm positive it's the bit change but why was he so bad today and not on tues.? He was almost uncontrollable. How can I correct this from happening again? I try circles but he gets unbalanced and sloppy. I'm just lucky I didn't land in the dirt today, after all, it was bareback! I know he's not trying to be bad, he's still a baby, but i'm scared he won't stop in the snaffle! He always stopped in the kimberwicke. I just want him to go back to a mild bit and start re-training him to give to the bit.

Suggestions so I don't die would be helpful (haha). This is my first horse.

sweetypie16 10-11-2007 11:48 PM

well the last thing to do on a ex race horse is to pull back, because race horses are taught to take the bit and run, i don't blame you! When u get a fright, like any person would do, you pull back... Unless you are going to re mouth him, don't put a snaffle in. Depending on how long he raced for, the longer the less hope you have riding in a snaffle.

He isn't bad hearted. just doing the thing he is taught. As for fixing it. There is alot of hard work in front of you! My opion is to not try him with a snaffle..... ESPICUALLY FOR THE FIRST TIME BARE BACK. Thats fairly dangerous!

Unfortunally, its better being safe than dead. If that means riding with a harsh bit than let it be.
Parelli might help?? Or a bitless bridle?? :wink:

LukeyD 10-11-2007 11:54 PM

I wasn't pulling back, I was doing half halts and circles. I've rode him bareback many times before, w/t/c. In fact i've shown him in a w/t/c bareback class and placed. That was all in a kimberwicke though. haha.

sweetypie16 10-12-2007 12:03 AM

:D hEY.... halt halts..... explain what you do. Do you touch the reins?? YES! Not very many pple know how to half halt right, and im not saying you don't know how to. There are amny definsions out there on how to half halt, cause different ways please different pple. What im saying is pulling on the reins to do a haft halt, your still touching the reins. Have you ever raced a TB or understand everything they do? To train them i mean? ITS THE EXACT OPPOSITE! To what we ride. I don't have a problem with bareback, just the bit..... :wink:

Spirithorse 10-14-2007 04:44 PM

Well, since sweetypie16 brought it up......yes, Parelli would definitly help you! lol.

Anyway, in situations like this you need to use a one rein stop. I would keep using the snaffle. I personally hate kimberwicks and would never ride a horse in one. If the horse "doesn't listen" to a milder bit, then he's become hard in the mouth, and this is due to the rider. Sometimes we may never know why a horse spooked or bolted all of a sudden, and it doesn't matter. Using 2 reins to stop a horse actually gives them power, but using one rein will take all that power away. It's much more effective.

sweetypie16 10-14-2007 10:36 PM

I will have to disagree. I don't like one reins. Dangerous i think .......

Spirithorse 10-15-2007 10:47 PM

Not if you do it correctly :wink: