The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Thinking of adopting older PMU (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/thinking-adopting-older-pmu-38161/)

Draftluver 10-14-2009 12:49 PM

Thinking of adopting older PMU

1 Attachment(s)
Hi I am new here. I am trying to make a decision on a horse and would like some input from others. The horse for adoption is a 2004 TB/percheron gelding from a former PMU farm, I saw him through the animali farm. He is only halter broke. I would really really like to rescue this guy (he goes to auction in the next couple weeks). I am not terribly concerned about training him, although he is older than anything I have started. My main concern is that I will not be able to see the horse, I have only seen photos of him. I would have to adopt him then he would be shipped to me, so I really couldn't check for soundness issues and don't know his real condition. I can see from the photos that his feet are bad and he is thin.

Would you take the chance on this horse? Anyone have any past experiences adopting an older semi-wild horse that they would like to share?

AussieDaisyGirl 10-14-2009 12:52 PM

While I'm all about adoption, animali farm is notorious for their outrageous prices and threatening the horse will "go to auction if not sold by such and such date." They've been doing that for at least the last 5 years.

I've got horses sight unseen before and it's always a gamble. However, if you have your heart set on him go for it. Just out of principle I wouldn't adopt from them though.

Draftluver 10-14-2009 01:06 PM

I do agree that most of the horses are way overpriced on their site. However the prices do include shipping up to 2000 miles, which is more reasonable if the horse is going across country, but pretty ridiculous if you are local.

AussieDaisyGirl 10-14-2009 01:28 PM

Absolutely. I like him. He's not old. 5 years old would be a great time to start him if you felt so inclined.

Draftluver 10-15-2009 08:24 AM

Anyone else have any thoughts/experiences to share?