The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Pleasure (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/)
-   -   Arabian Biased Judges (http://www.horseforum.com/western-pleasure/arabian-biased-judges-381642/)

Lazulie Belle 03-18-2014 09:30 AM

Arabian Biased Judges

I'm entering two Arabs into an upcoming open show where I hear that the judge favors quarter horses and does not usually place Arabians. How would you all handle this?

DancingArabian 03-18-2014 09:39 AM

What do you think you can do to handle it? All you can do is enter or not enter. You can't confront the judge over it.
Posted via Mobile Device

DancingArabian 03-18-2014 10:05 AM

What do you think you can do to handle it? All you can do is enter or not enter. You can't confront the judge over it.
Posted via Mobile Device

oh vair oh 03-18-2014 01:25 PM

Haha, you should come show here! We have an open show series put on by an arabian horse club, several actually. My little paint horse always gets placed under the arabs.

I would just "do you" and don't blame all your problems on the judge or the other competitors. Open show judges are hit or miss for stock horse people as well.

DuckDodgers 03-18-2014 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DancingArabian (Post 4992786)
Posted via Mobile Device

Exactly this. There's nothing you can do about it besides show or not.

I had the opposite be true when I was showing dressage on my QH at age 16 or so. There was this little Arabian gelding that was pretty cute, but not overly talented and their ride was maybe decent at best. I placed second or third, that horse got first. Second ride, I thought I nailed it! I was very proud of my ride. Watched the Arab go... and they didn't nail it. Results come back, the other girl got first and I got second. I was a little disappointed, but such is life. My trainer and I were proud of my riding and how my horse performed, so it was a success for me.

Breed bias towards the Arabian or against my QH? Maybe, or maybe the judge saw something special in that ride, or something wrong with mine. I'm sure everyone on here that has ever showed can post similar stories, and we either continue or we don't.

GotaDunQH 03-23-2014 02:40 PM

Just get your horse trained and suitable for WP as you can, then you are at the mercy of the judges. I've been on the other end where my QH's that have points at AQHA shows, have been buried at larger open show circuits by the Arab/Morgan/ASB judges....so it DOES work both ways.

If I was judging a WP class at an open show, I would reward the best moving horse, whether it be a QH or an Arab, because THAT is what the class is about....movement, quietness and a horse with relaxation at all 3 gaits with consistency,

Saddlebag 03-23-2014 03:45 PM

I was about to enter my arab in a halter class when I saw that there were 20 some qh and he'd be the one arab. Instead I opted for under 14.2 which he was by a hair, and we walked out with a first.

GotaDunQH 03-23-2014 04:18 PM

^ Good for you! I showed to QH's I owned at a regional open show circuit....both in halter. My gelding I owned at the time.....won his class and the championship class. The mare I showed was a 2 YO and we did the Open Colt and Filly classs and she got buried. This class was judged by the Arab/Morgan/ASB judge. This show had two judges that were assigned to certain classes and divisions. She took her QH Halter mare class, but got snubbed in the Colt & Filly class. She wasn't even halter bred, but performance bred....and ALL the others in the youngster class were gawky knock-kneed, low backed ABS's babies....that took 2 people to show, came in the pen on 2 legs, and would not stand to set up and parked out. My mare set right up, she's over-averaged correct in her conformation, and we got the gate. Go figure.