The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Quarter Horse Has Brand! Where's he from!?! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/quarter-horse-has-brand-wheres-he-38188/)

Reaver 10-14-2009 06:47 PM

Quarter Horse Has Brand! Where's he from!?!

Hey guys, I have a quarter horse with a brand that I can not find a hint of info on! I've done all fo the online research that I can, so now I am leaving it to your suggestions and ideas! He has a branded 7,1, and 8 in the shape of a triangle (with the 7 at the top of the triangle, the 1 on the lower left, and the 8 on the lower right). The triangle brand with the numbers is located on his right haunch. anyone have ideas how I can find out where my baby came from? Thank you!

equus717 10-14-2009 07:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That is a very good question. I never could find out the info on my qh mare that also had a brand on her hip. I called the Texas Cattle Association and this is what they told me because the brand is how I was trying to find out my info the ranchers and such only have to register the brand with their county instead of the state. So 2 counties could have the same brand registered. So for me it was a needle in a hay stack. I would start out by contacting the local extension office and see what they could do for you. If you can post a picture for me. I did find out that the I on top is the sire. The L is for the lot that she was in and the W is for the mare band that she was with. That is all I found out though so hopefully you have better luck than I did on your brand.

southerncowgirl93 10-14-2009 07:51 PM

what state are you in?

equus717 10-14-2009 07:57 PM

I live in Kentucky

southerncowgirl93 10-14-2009 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equus717 (Post 428940)
I live in Kentucky

I meant the OP. lol but I live in TN. I'm right below you! hehe

WSArabians 10-14-2009 11:35 PM

You should have a brand inspector at a local auction house who should be able to tell you that information.

My2Geldings 10-15-2009 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaver (Post 428870)
Hey guys, I have a quarter horse with a brand that I can not find a hint of info on! I've done all fo the online research that I can, so now I am leaving it to your suggestions and ideas! He has a branded 7,1, and 8 in the shape of a triangle (with the 7 at the top of the triangle, the 1 on the lower left, and the 8 on the lower right). The triangle brand with the numbers is located on his right haunch. anyone have ideas how I can find out where my baby came from? Thank you!

You know brandings can be hard to track back. I don't know what the laws are in your area, but I know here anyone can make up their own brand with a licence which is easy to get. You pay a one time fee, make sure no one has it within certain amount of miles from you, and you're set; so technically speaking, you might have repeat brandings from all over the continent.

See if you have some livestock governing body (livestock association maybe) that deals with brandings. You should have one general place that you might be able to call and see if they can help you identify who's brand this was.

Not sure how else to figure it out.

My Beau 10-15-2009 05:58 PM

Start here:
Livestock brands

If they have your state you can check if his brand is listed. If he was branded in another state you might have to do a little detective work.

Kentucky 10-15-2009 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WSArabians (Post 429167)
You should have a brand inspector at a local auction house who should be able to tell you that information.

The State of Kentucky doesn't required any brands on livestock including horses and cattle. The only state with full time brand inspectors is Idaho, in other states it is done but the sheriff's deputies or someone else. Mainly states west of the Mississippi river have brand laws ad those east of it don't. Personally I wish they would required brand on all livestock.

ilovestitch 10-15-2009 09:13 PM

I hope you can find out! Doing a little detective work is fun too if it can help you know where your horse came from!