The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Helmet Sizing Question - Spacing on Sides? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/helmet-sizing-question-spacing-sides-38220/)

jinxremoving 10-15-2009 12:27 AM

Helmet Sizing Question - Spacing on Sides?

Hey! I'm finally getting close to taking some lessons and I picked up some tack today and now I'm second guessing if I made the right decision on my helmet or not.

The helmet is an IRH Pro Rider Velvet and it fits perfectly in the front and back, but when I pull the helmet to one side there is enough of a gap that allows me to stick my thumb up there. The lady at the tack shop rocked the helmet back and fourth, so I know that's perfect but I never asked about rocking from side to side and it's a bit wobbly there.

I tried on so many helmets today, from Troxel, to the entire IRH line to the fancy Charles Owen line and this one fit me the nicest... too bad it's still bulky. The Charles Owen were extremely nice, but I guess because it's for an oval shaped head it didn't work at all with mine.

So what do you think... are most helmets supposed to have some gaps on the sides or is it supposed to be a tight ALL the way around? Would you exchange this for a different size, maybe a different brand? I don't know what to do. =(

upnover 10-16-2009 10:35 AM

Should fit fairly snug and as perfectly as possible, but it can be hard for some. IRHs come in both round and long oval, were you able to try on both? If it's gapping on the sides I'm surprised an oval helmet didn't fit you. Although, my memory could be wrong, but i was thinking that the GPAs were more oval and the CO's were more round... Most helmets come with thin foam pieces to insert, I know my IRH did. Adding too much padding will affect the safety of the helmet but just a thin pad should be just fine.

Have you tried a Tipperary? Looks funky but my favorite schooling helmet!

Hoofprints in the Sand 10-16-2009 12:19 PM

You can buy these little foam inserts for the IRH's to fill in the gaps...mine does the exact same thing yours does! I went down 1/8" and it was too small front to back, but the one that fits me perfectly front to back has gaps on the sides.

jinxremoving 10-16-2009 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoofprints in the Sand (Post 430428)
You can buy these little foam inserts for the IRH's to fill in the gaps...mine does the exact same thing yours does! I went down 1/8" and it was too small front to back, but the one that fits me perfectly front to back has gaps on the sides.

Yeah, I found two small foam inserts in the box. I've put them in the helmet and it's helped a bit. I was talking to the tack shop earlier and they said as long as the helmet doesn't rock back and fourth over my eyes, it's OK. =)

Did you buy your inserts separately? I might try and find some thicker ones for added stability.

Hoofprints in the Sand 10-16-2009 09:30 PM

I actually didn't buy inserts, I just know they exist ;-) Mine doesn't really move much, unless I pull it side to side...the people at the tack shop I bought it at said the same thing they told you, that if it doesn't move back and forth down over my eyes it's good, but some people add the little inserts in for added security.