The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Horse Blankets? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/horse-blankets-38242/)

Erin_And_Jasper 10-15-2009 03:13 PM

Horse Blankets?

at what temp do you blanket your horses?

i start at like 40F

coelh102 10-15-2009 03:24 PM

I blanket my horse after they get a nice thick winter coat and only if it's wet out, like rain ir snow. Also if the horse has health issues or thier age permits it. I have a 19yr old mini who tends to lose some wieght in the winter very fast so I blanket her on the days it gets very cold or it's a wet snow that's heavy. But in general, I try to prolong putting a blanket on my horses, I prefer to increase thier fiber intake.

gypsygirl 10-15-2009 03:26 PM

i dont usually blanket mine, but sometimes if its -10 or colder i will put a blanket on my 20+ yo, i dont know that he cares much but it makes me feel better =]

appylover31803 10-15-2009 03:40 PM

Only if they don't grow in a thick winter coat and show that they are cold. Otherwise they are nekkid!

themacpack 10-15-2009 04:23 PM

I actually prefer not to blanket unless it is absolutely necessary (determined each year on a horse-by-horse basis - ie if they are sick, changed climate too late to hair-up, etc). 99.9% of the time, I don't blanket at all during the winter -- here in Indiana or back "home" in the Idaho mountains. Our horses have always managed to weather just fine with their natural coats.

Erin_And_Jasper 10-15-2009 07:02 PM

brrrr... we are getting a heavy wet snow right now so we have blankets on

sixlets 10-15-2009 07:35 PM

I wait till it's -20 with windchill (it gets to that about January here in MN) but I like my boy to get fuzzy :)

kchfuller 10-15-2009 07:48 PM

Maddy is getting body clipped next week so she will get blanketed when it gets below 65 ish ... as it gets colder she gets a heavier blanket.

Brodie isn't really growing a coat so he gets one when it gets below 65 too and when it gets rainy or colder i put a heavier blanket on him.

I don't like my horses turning into fluff monsters b/c i like to ride through the winter and too much hair makes it harder, they get sweaty faster and when it's cold we can't bath.