The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   feeding-putting weight on help please? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/feeding-putting-weight-help-please-38255/)

jadeewood 10-15-2009 06:54 PM

feeding-putting weight on help please?

Hi, my mare is a little under weight due to having 2 foals before i brought her. i feed her 3 sectios of hay during the day.(dont rally eat hay) and then she grazes all night. i also give her a scoop of conditioning cubes, scoop of alfa beat and a scoop of hifi.

is there anything i can change or give her as she has started to loose weight again. i want to try and get it on her before winter turnout.

i have been advised to try the feed called. 'outshine' i am getting a bay tomorrow so will try that. i try not to give her anything with sooooooooo much sugar in as she goes of her head.

any more suggestions.

themacpack 10-15-2009 07:57 PM

The amounts you are using aren't really telling much - it would be much easier to help if you would weigh the amount of hay and each "scoop" of feed you are giving. Without knowing how much she is actually getting, it is fairly impossible to advise on what you may want to change.
Also, when were the last times she was vetted, wormed and floated?

deineria 10-15-2009 09:16 PM

Yes, make sure her teeth are good - and float if needed and worm her if you don't have a history on that - those things are first.

Rescues I've put weight on have been with 10-20% Rice Bran, 10-20% Beet Pulp, a non sweet feed like 50-60% Dumore's Stable Energy, Purina Senior or another purnia non sweet feed, and 10-20% Alfalfa pellets - I do about 7% of their desired body weight in this mix with unlimited hay.

Production Acres 10-16-2009 10:02 AM

Putting weight on animals is not voodo magic or the compilation of 5 different wonderful supplements. It gives us all a warm fuzzy feeling down inside when we import some wonder supplement from some exotic company made with algae from the pristine waters of Iceland. Please use the KISS method. Keep it simple s*!
1. Clean fresh water
2. Healthy animal(teeth floated, wormed, vacinated)
3. Hay they "want to eat."
4. Minerals in feed or available loose.
5. Basic feed/grain. (corn, oats, barley, wheat bran, beet pulp, rice byproducts, etc.)

jadeewood 10-16-2009 10:40 AM

yes, she is on a worm plan and only recently been done,she is upto date with all of her vaccinations, her teeth are fine. i will ever get the measurement of the scoop or i will find a picture or something. thanks for everyones help. keep comenting