The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Jumpers? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/jumpers-38257/)

Lonannuniel 10-15-2009 05:58 PM

Jumpers?

I am looking for a horse that i can use for jumping. I don't anything serious, just a horse that can get me over those 3 foot jumps without a problem.
Now, i was hoping to get your opinion on this subject. I know warmbloods are the ones who are known for jumping, but are there any other breeds that are good jumpers?

My Beau 10-15-2009 06:00 PM

Pretty much anything can make it over a 3' jump with training. Even ponies.

AussieDaisyGirl 10-15-2009 08:22 PM

Thoroughbreds are good. It's more about the conformation than the breed though.

ilovestitch 10-15-2009 09:11 PM

I agree, at that height level you could use pretty much anything as long as its conformationally correct.

MIEventer 10-15-2009 09:16 PM

Exactly. Any breed of horse can do low levels of any equestrian sport we see today. It is when we get to mid levels that conformation starts to weed out the one's who aren't physcially built for the level of demand in the movements/activities that they are being required to do.

But it isn't just "what breed" is capeable - it is how you take care of your horse as well.

Protect. Prevent. Preserve.

Educate yourself on how to properly care for your horse before, during and after you ride and jump.

Riding isn't just about Jumping.

Live2RideVet 10-20-2009 10:01 AM

Most horses CAN jump three feet, unless with an injury. But not all horses can jump 3 feet WELL. Arabians for example, would not be the best choice, as they are not the best jumpers... Large ponies can jump up to 3'6'' pretty well; I have seen those do jumper classes.

I currently have a warmbloodxthoroughbred mare, who can jump up and over 4 feet. I'd say this is the best mix, so good luck!

Wallaby 10-20-2009 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Live2RideVet (Post 434195)
Most horses CAN jump three feet, unless with an injury. But not all horses can jump 3 feet WELL. Arabians for example, would not be the best choice, as they are not the best jumpers... Large ponies can jump up to 3'6'' pretty well; I have seen those do jumper classes.

I currently have a warmbloodxthoroughbred mare, who can jump up and over 4 feet. I'd say this is the best mix, so good luck!

Just sayin' I've seen some pretty dang good Arabian jumpers. =) My Arab mare however is not such a pretty jumper but since I don't jump (I just set up little jumps for her for fun) it doesn't really matter. It just depends on the Arabian (which is pretty much the same for any horse, it depends on the horse).

Live2RideVet 10-20-2009 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallaby (Post 434203)
Just sayin' I've seen some pretty dang good Arabian jumpers. =) My Arab mare however is not such a pretty jumper but since I don't jump (I just set up little jumps for her for fun) it doesn't really matter. It just depends on the Arabian (which is pretty much the same for any horse, it depends on the horse).

I understand. What I should have said, is Arabians do not have the best conformation as jumpers, although I do know a few who can jump over 3'6''.

I used to ride Arabians; I still own one, and I have had 4, so I know what you need to know about them.

RacePony007 10-27-2009 10:40 PM

My 14.3hh andalusian that is 14 years old has no problem getting over 2 feet but he is still in training!

Alli 10-31-2009 01:55 PM

Hey, I'm from Germany!
I've got a Holsteiner, these horses are really big jumpers I can tell you ;)