The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Help,Is this trainer nuts? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/help-trainer-nuts-3826/)

gaston1234 10-12-2007 08:37 PM

Help,Is this trainer nuts?

I recently took a lesson from a local trainer. My 10 year old TB has a problem picking up his right lead so I thought I would give her a shot.She basically wanted me to turn his head dramatically to the outside when asking for his right lead canter, All this did was confuse him.When I questioned her about it she replied that to ask for the canter you use the outside rein and outside leg,I have been riding a long time and this is a first. Someone give me an opinion if she knows what she is talking about. It sounds like nonsense to me and I cant see paying for bad advice. Terri

Taylor99 10-12-2007 09:43 PM

You're absolutely right. She is nuts. When the horse goes to canter, their first step out is with their outside hind leg, followed by the inside hind and outside front together, and then the inside front. She is probably trying to force the horse to pick up the right lead by turning his head to the rail because she thinks his first step should be with the right front. But by taking away the majority of the weight on the right front, this actually causes the horse to pick up the WRONG lead because instead of taking the weight off the back left so he can step out with it for the correct lead, you are adding weight. Sorry i know that seems a bit confusing but when you look at a horse transition from a trot to a canter, you will see that this is true. My advice to you would be to ditch the trainer and try putting him on the right lead by turning his head towards the inside drastically to start out. Give pressure with your inside leg and slide your outside leg back. Hope it al works out for you. :D

Delregans Way 10-12-2007 10:37 PM

:? ok?? R u sure you should be bringing this topic up. I think you shouldn't bag out your trainer. Espicually on this forum. Im pretty sure you can only ask advice about you. And not make a arrugment about 'nutty' trainers. :roll:

Sara 10-12-2007 11:24 PM

From what I've heard, turning the head to the outside can be useful with young horses and particularly stiff horses to help them "fall" into the right lead. I don't think its an ideal way to go about things...but eh.

LukeyD 10-13-2007 11:33 AM

I was always taught to put their head to the inside, and slide your outside leg back while squeezing with both legs.

Flying B 10-13-2007 11:38 AM

turning his head to the outside is just dumb, just watch them in the field and what way they lean there head be for they run off.

I was always taught to put their head to the inside, and slide your outside leg back while squeezing with both legs.
lukeyD is 100% right, but on young horses you just ues the outside leg.

gaston1234 10-13-2007 04:41 PM

thanks for the advice.

Thanks everyone for your imput.I am really not trying to be rude to the trainer but as all of you know there are alot of people giving bad training advice and the rest of us should not be paying for it.This is why I asked all of you people to give me feed back. I have all the greatest respect for those of you out there that train. Thanks Terri

jazzyrider 10-15-2007 08:36 AM

i dont think there should be a problem as long as she/he doesnt mention any names. if the poster is paying for lessons from someone and is getting the wrong training then at least she can clarify. i do agree calling the trainer nuts is a bit rough though. there is a difference between nuts and ignorance or a poor understanding of what they have been taught.

for canter on the right lead i pick up a little tension on the inside rein, put my inside leg on the girth and the outside slightly behind. you should get the right lead this way.

i would maybe ask your trainer her reasoning behind this technique. if it seems as though she really doesnt know what she is talking about then maybe its time to look for a new trainer. the last thing you need to do is learn bad habits and be confusing your horse and yourself.

AKPaintLover 10-15-2007 03:52 PM

Tipping the horse's head to the outside is not preferrable, but it does actually work as a sort of band-aide fix to get the desired lead. By tipping the head to the outside, the inside shoulder is left a the balance point where the weight will go, the the horse is sort of forced to lead with that side.

Doing this is is really quite ugly when it comes down to it, and does not reflect good training of a horse (it teaches the horse to stiffen an brace against the rider when cantering). If the horse is taught to supple nicely, when you tip the head in using the rein and the hip in usinig the rein, the horse should pick up the proper lead comfortably.

I went to a clinic a few years back and asked the trainer for help because I was having a problem getting my four year old to pick up the right lead. The trainer told me to tip my horse's head to the outside. It worked, and he became much easier to pick up that lead, but he was very stiff when he cantered. I later learned more about suppling and properly picking up a lead, taught him to supple up, and he moves beautifully in both leads now. No permanant damage done. Tipping out worked. Since then, I have taught my new youngster to pick up his leads by suppling and tipping in - I find it much nicer for control, and collected movement.

twinkle_toes 12-31-2007 07:12 PM

my pony is sometimes ad about picking up her right lead, but she is definitely weak on her right lead. My trainer set up a single standard set on an angle with one pole. You canter on the right over this and circle, the horse eventually figures out to tay on their right lead 8) This also works for the left lead.