The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Changing bits (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/changing-bits-3830/)

appylover31803 10-13-2007 12:47 AM

Changing bits

I currently have a kimberwicke for my mare, and i bought a slow twist loose ring snaffle because i thought she was above the bit, but its just the way she carries herself. I feel that both bits are way to harsh for her, considering she's 4. I want to get her a plain old snaffle, but i dont know what kind. (jointed, french link, oval link). I also saw that there are bits that are curved and is more pleasant for the horse. Has anyone tried them? Or should i stick to a normal bit? And i was wondering what everyone's views on copper in the bit. Does it help the horse relax more or what?

Sara 10-13-2007 03:42 PM

It all depends on the size/shape of your horse's mouth, and you can't really tell that from a picture. I don't notice a huge diff one way or the other with the copper.

appylover31803 10-13-2007 07:52 PM

ok. So should I just go for a normal snaffle?

Sara 10-13-2007 08:55 PM

*shrug* gotta start somewhere, neh? :)

appylover31803 10-13-2007 11:31 PM

that is very true, but I'm just concerned she wont listen to be with a milder bit. When i tried her out before i got her, she had a snaffle in and barely listened. But maybe now that I've had her for some time, it will be different. ok. im going to invest in a snaffle for my girly. Thank you Sara!!! ::horsey hugs::

LukeyD 10-14-2007 01:59 AM

Just be careful. hehe :oops: I was riding my 5 y OTTB in a kimberwicke, and the other day I switched him to a snaffle because I felt bad for riding him in a harsher bit. He wasn't controllable. It was scary. So yeah, take things very slow and do many circles, stops, etc. to establish whoa. Unless you want to learn the hard way. lol.

Spirithorse 10-14-2007 04:40 PM

I would get that kimberwick out of her mouth, and I wouldn't even think about putting that slow twist in her mouth. In my opinion, both are extremely harsh bits and have no business being in a horse's mouth. That being said, I think a wonderful bit to use is the JP by Korsteel Oval Mouth Copper Loose Ring snaffle. I use that on my horse and he loves it. You can order it out of the Dover Saddlery catelog, at least that's where I got mine.

The reason your horse "doesn't listen" to the bits is because she has become hard in the mouth. Her previous owners could be to blame for this, riding with hard hands and such. So you need to work on very simple things that will keep you safe, like the one rein stop. Do you know how to teach that?

Also, work on being very slow, polite, and gentle with your hands. Don't be quick or jerky with your hands. That only upsets horses. See HOW LITTLE it takes to get her to do something. Above all, be patient. :)

jofielder7 10-14-2007 08:29 PM

It's always better to have less bit than too much bit because the habits a horse can form from having too harsh a bit in it's mouth can be extremely difficult to break. Your horse should be fine in a loose ring snaffle or any other kind of two-piece snaffle (jointed in the middle). From there you can try different ones and see which she likes best. I hope this helps.

appylover31803 10-15-2007 03:29 AM

i dont want a loose ring just because I read that it can pinch the sides of the mouth. I was actually looking at the Myler bits, and I think she's above the bit, from their description and also a picture in the Dover Saddlery catalog, and it was suggested that she have tongue relief. I'm looking into the low port comfort eggbutt snaffle, but I'm not sure if that would work for her. This is so complicated lol. Should i get a plain old snaffle, or get the low port one?

jofielder7 10-15-2007 10:55 AM

Honestly, I wouldn't feel comfortable answering this question. One thing I can tell you is that with a loose ring that fits properly you shouldn't have problems with pinching, and you can also use bit guards. Another option is a D-ring. At least you're on the right track in looking for a snaffle that works. Sorry I can't help more.