The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   I need advice on how to train a horse to collect and go on the bit!!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/i-need-advice-how-train-horse-38314/)

mandik92 10-16-2009 05:23 PM

I need advice on how to train a horse to collect and go on the bit!!!!

hey everyone^_^
i have a mare that has been use for western her whole life and she is very trained but she doesn't collect and i dont know how to train a horse to do so.
so any advice?

Scoutrider 10-16-2009 05:42 PM

Collection really isn't something that can be trained, it's more like something that can be achieved when you have the right elements (Relaxation, rhythm, contact, implusion, straightness, etc.). I'm still working on the elements myself, and almost certainly will be for some time to come.

Here's a site that I really like: The Art of Classical Riding--Dressage Training for Horse and Rider

It's technically classical dressage, not western, but the concepts are the same no matter what saddle you ride in. There are awesome articles, both philosophical and practical. I recommend starting with the description of the classical seat. So much of the road to collection comes from the rider being balanced and effective. There are other threads on collection here on HorseForum as well. There are some really knowledgeable dressage trainers and riders here who can really help you out. :D

Good luck!

mandik92 10-16-2009 05:46 PM

thank you ^_^
do you know any tips on how to get a horse to tuck its nose?? my horse doesnt do it at all and i try to get her to do it but she wont.

Scoutrider 10-16-2009 06:06 PM

You don't want the nose tucked in, you want to ride her into the bit. With a snaffle, pick up a soft feel of the horse's mouth, but don't do any more than that. Feel so light that you're almost holding hands, so to speak. Do lots of transitions, from gait to gait and within gaits, to help her get her hindquarters engaged, and get some forward motion and impulsion. If you can maintain that gentle "handshake" with her mouth through the transitions, riding from your seat, not your hands, she'll start seeking correct contact.

If you focus on tucking her head in, she'll fall behind the vertical, behind the bit. This is not good. She'll be heavy on her forehand, prone to hollowing through the back, and tense. Unfortunately, just messing with the horse's face can get something that can look like proper collection, and even fool some judges, but isn't a correct or even comfortable posture for the horse, and can even cause problems down the road. Falling behind the bit is tantamount to an evasion. The horse is trying to avoid the moving bit and get away from it, not seeking out the contact willingly in partnership with her rider.

mandik92 10-16-2009 09:08 PM

okay thank you
ill try that