The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Sometimes I just wanna... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/sometimes-i-just-wanna-38328/)

JustDressageIt 10-16-2009 08:10 PM

Sometimes I just wanna...

About a month ago a lady came in looking for advice on her brand new OTTB who was gaping at the bit, didn't turn, and was tossing its head. I offered advice like get the teeth floated, get a professional saddle fitter, and a trainer would really come in handy (she's a novice re-rider.) I sold her a Myler bit and some other miscellaneous tack, and she seemed very pleased with my answers.
She was back a week later. She had gotten a "trainer" - a rusty old cowboy down the road who showed her how to "correct" the horse's problems - with a tight tie-down (or side reins depending on the day) and a double offset twisted wire loose ring snaffle. She was so excited that her horse wasn't gaping and tossing its head anymore. I calmly (though I was nearly bursting at the seams) explained that a bit like that needs to be used in very light hands, if it is to be used at all, as it is a severe bit. I also explained that she likely hadn't fixed the horse's problem, rather had just covered it up. I talked to her for a while longer and once again felt that I had gotten through to her.
Today I wanted to throttle her. She came in to the store first off demanding a discount. Um.. not with that attitude. Then she wanted advice on which bridle she should get (she had picked out a double bridle and a snaffle bridle) so trying to explain the difference between them flew over her head... I finally just pointed out which one I meant. She then asked what the front strap was for. I explained that it was a flash, and before I could get another word out, she excitedly exclaimed, "GREAT! Now I can keep his ****ed mouth shut!!! Oh this is fantastic!!" Not a word of a lie, she was thrilled about it. Oh, and she bought a twisted wire snaffle.

Some people need to be shot.

Kentucky 10-16-2009 08:24 PM

I feel the blame should be on the "trainer". That woman doesn't know what she is doing is wrong and she thinks that is the right way, while it would be enjoyable fussing at her wil not work. She needs someone to show her the right way it is a shame you couldn't have a real horseman/ cowboy in there the next time she comes in there.

Sunny06 10-16-2009 09:06 PM

Wowza.

Some people.

MIEventer 10-16-2009 09:36 PM

My heat goes out to the poor horse who will do whatever it is she asks with all his heart.

The poor horse, has to deal with ignorant, over powering people, and still gets punnished for it in the end.

XivoShowjumper 10-16-2009 09:45 PM

yuck- now i won't completely disregard a twisted wire snaffle- because i do occasionaly use one on my poor jumper who's mouth was wrecked- but in the hands of a novice rider- yikes- i hope for that the poor horses sake she won't tie his head down with it in his mouth!!!!!

how very typical of OTTBs to be gapers- i have certainly had my share of them come through... i just use a soft eggbut and a hanovarian noseband though

Gillian 10-16-2009 09:46 PM

If someone told me the things you told that woman I'd at least try out the advice. And THEN came to my own conclusion. (Oh wait! People did and I have!) Ugh. However, I do blame the trainer in the instance. The owner seemed to listen the first time but was brainwashed by her new wonderful "trainer".

MIEventer 10-16-2009 09:59 PM

Quote:

how very typical of OTTBs to be gapers
When horses gape their mouths, it is because there are holes in their training. And also trying to avoid uneducated hands.

AussieDaisyGirl 10-16-2009 10:00 PM

It's people like that who end up making horses like Carolina.

1dog3cats17rodents 10-16-2009 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIEventer (Post 430887)
When horses gape their mouths, it is because there are holes in their training. And also trying to avoid uneducated hands.

And OTTB's don't have holes in their training? She's saying it's not an uncommon one for OTTB's and suggesting a gentler solution

farmpony84 10-16-2009 10:12 PM

That "rusty old cowboy" could be a very knowledgeable man. You never know how a person might take a persons advice. As for the twisted wire and the flash, many people take the easy way over the right way. It's a shame but to me, it sounds like she's a very uneducated person... it's a shame.