The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   At what age can a foal have feet trimmed? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/what-age-can-foal-have-feet-38379/)

bubblegum 10-17-2009 04:57 PM

At what age can a foal have feet trimmed?

At what age can my foals have their feet looked at by a farrier, just to make sure i dont ruin there feet for the future.

My Beau 10-17-2009 05:11 PM

My farrier was out 2 weeks ago - just looked and picked up at my 5 month old's feet said "they look good". That was it. It depends on the foal their hoove's rate of growth.

Maybe let your farrier take a look next time he's out - if they're looking clubby or toed in/out it can be fixed with corrective trimming. If not - leave them til they need a trim.

bubblegum 10-17-2009 05:14 PM

ok thank you think he might need to come and take a look then, they look like they are splaying out a bit, but i bet ill have to wait about a month for him to come out unless i can find a trailer and camp outside his house and beg his dad to come out, ( used to be my neighbours until i moved)

Britt 10-17-2009 05:22 PM

When my thee year old was a foal, he had his first trim at a little over two months of age.

Prodomus 10-17-2009 06:17 PM

my farrier usually looks at them at a month and then we determine if they need regular attention. I like the farrier to handle them once a month - my farrier is very good - I bring the babies in, he lifts their feet and does a bit of filing if needed.

Good practice for them. If they need something done, then he will do it and we proceed from there.

sillybunny11486 10-17-2009 06:18 PM

my weanling was done at 5-6 months.

dee 10-17-2009 06:51 PM

My daughter's colt didn't have his first trim until he was over a year old - but he was recovering from an injury and the farrier didn't want to force him to stand three legged long enough to trim his feet. They never did get very bad, and when they were finally done, it only took just a bit of a trim. They were like iron! (Too bad his knee wasn't!)

My Beau 10-17-2009 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prodomus (Post 431653)
I like the farrier to handle them once a month - my farrier is very good - I bring the babies in, he lifts their feet and does a bit of filing if needed.

Is that the only time their feet are handled? Just wondering...

AlmagroN 10-18-2009 01:11 AM

my filly is a yearling right now and has had her feet trimmed maybe 3 times, and is now shod. she doesnt grow feet very fast though so she didnt need to be done too often

CheyAut 10-18-2009 02:22 AM

My farrier looks at the babies every time he comes out. Sometimes they NEED it, sometimes they don't. Even if they don't really, he'll rasp the toes just a tad, to help get them used to it (at no charge)