The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Join up with a weanling? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/join-up-weanling-38390/)

Plains Drifter 10-17-2009 06:31 PM

Join up with a weanling?

Can you do join up with a weanling or would that be pushing them a bit too much at that age?

free_sprtd 10-17-2009 11:08 PM

Hmmm.... I would definitely do all the desensitizing that you can with touching and leading, feet, and small stuff, but if I'm not mistaken isn't join up usually in the round pen with circling and driving the horse forward, ect (i know it involves body language from both horse and person) and a lot of mental capability? In my opinion...might be a bit much for a weanling, but I'm all for letting them grow and mature at a nice rate. The circling will probably be a bit much for the joints. And maybe the pressure of driving them might not "click" as they are so young....

but i'm not experienced with weanlings sorry :(

trIplEcrOwngIrl 10-17-2009 11:30 PM

well, since join-up is pretty mcuh them asking to join your "herd", I woulddn;t do it until they are at the age where they might be pushed out of a herd(like stallions do to the older colts). but i could be wrong

Plains Drifter 10-17-2009 11:33 PM

Right after I posted it, I did some more research. I was pretty sure it was more for an older horse and found out I was correct. Thanks for saying something..lets me know I was on the right track.

free_sprtd 10-17-2009 11:34 PM

Glad to hear :). Well I at least learned something today then :)
Lyric is gorgeous by the way, I think I might need to have her in MY HERD heheehe

Plains Drifter 10-17-2009 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by free_sprtd (Post 432003)
Glad to hear :). Well I at least learned something today then :)
Lyric is gorgeous by the way, I think I might need to have her in MY HERD heheehe

If she turns up missing, I'll know where to look, rofl!

free_sprtd 10-17-2009 11:38 PM

hehehe nuh uh because I'll sweep away all her tracks! lmao!

Plains Drifter 10-17-2009 11:42 PM

LOL! Hmm..gonna start looking for a good tracking dog NOW!

free_sprtd 10-17-2009 11:45 PM

hmm good thinking...**runs off to the store for juicy steaks***

Plains Drifter 10-17-2009 11:55 PM

ROFL! I needed a laugh tonight! :)