The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Rice bran oil? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/rice-bran-oil-38467/)

AussieDaisyGirl 10-18-2009 05:12 PM

Rice bran oil?

I saw a supplement in TSC that was called Rice Bran Oil (I think??) and I know there's a BO in my area that uses it to help put weight on her horses.

What is it?

Pros? Cons?

MIEventer 10-18-2009 05:24 PM

I would go with CoaCoa Soya instead.

Rice bran is great, I cannot complain about it, but I really like Coacoa Soya 10x more.

AussieDaisyGirl 10-18-2009 06:23 PM

Hmm. Well really, I wouldn't know if I need to give it or not. CoCo has just come from the track. She's in race condition.

I am feeding her 4lbs of Omolene 100 twice a day, plus three flakes of good hay twice a day. She's not on the greatest of pasture. I have been trying to give her more hay but she just tramples it and I'm not allowed to have a hay rack or hay bags (BO is a little umm.. left of center) in the stall.

I've thought about adding Weight Builder which I used with my last OTTBs but I'm trying to be a little more open minded.

MIEventer 10-18-2009 06:48 PM

Wait - you aren't allowed you supply our own Hay Bag? I don't like Hay nets either, but a Hay Bag is nothing to be worried about.

What you can also do, this is what I do for Nelson because he's a piggy with his hay - is I got one of those huge plastic barrels and had it cut 1/4 off the top.

You can sorta see it here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...andZeus088.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...andZeus078.jpg

Although it doesn't look it - LOL - it does help keep his hay limited on the floor, which minimizes the amount that gets "trompled" on.

You might give that a try.

I have a TB and yes, many of them are hard keepers. The first and foremost should be roughage. If your barn isn't putting round bales infront of their faces out in their pastures/paddocks, and not giving unlimited hay to your horse, then I would look to go else where.

Your horses health and weight is foremost important. I was at a facility where they BO was not concerned about his weight, but more concerned about her pocket book - and due to that he lost 300 pounds.

I moved him. Enough was enough.

Sorry, but 6 flakes in a day is not enough, not even close to being enough roughage for a 1000lb - 1100lb horse.

Pasture this time of year, is ****. There is nothing in it anymore

Grain, should be just top dressing in accordance to the hay. Nelson has a round bale infront of his face out on turnout, and when he comes in at night, he gets 6 flakes of hay thrown into his bucket. He has hay infront of him 24/7. Very important.

If I were you, I would go to a Senior Feed. It is great for any age of horse because of everything that is in it.

What Nelson is on, is 8 pounds of Tripple Crown Senior. 4 in the A.M and 4 in the P.M

Which also comes with Shaved Beat Pulp, Bran, Ultimate Finish and Coacoa Soya.

He went from being ribby and very skinny *ask Spyder and Joshie, they saw him* to a very plump, in shape, hard to keep, TB.

kitten_Val 10-18-2009 06:54 PM

It's very expensive IMO. I just did a research (for my own horses) and looks like the perfect oil to go with is usual canola oil from food store. It has perfect 2:1 ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 (corn oil has almost no omega 3, and veggi oil (aka soybean) is 7:1 ratio which is pretty low too). You can just add half-cup twice a day with feed.

AussieDaisyGirl 10-18-2009 07:03 PM

Unfortunately I'm stuck at this stable until Spring. There aren't many stables within a decent driving distance.

However, I should be able to get my hands on a round bale once I'm able to figure out where CoCo will be turned out. I had to fight with the BO to get her turned out at all.

I have definitely been thinking about senior feed.

sillybunny11486 10-18-2009 10:50 PM

round bales are usually cheep, ie low quality hay. i stick with grocery store oils, they do the trick just fine and are pretty cheep. i saw rice bran oil for like $50 the other day, next to a same size jug of veg oil. there was a $35 difference, at least.

MIEventer 10-18-2009 11:03 PM

Not all round bales are low quallity hay. My guy has very high quality round bales that have been analyzed. They are first cutting, alfalfa mixed, very rich.

Nelson has done absolutely wonderful gaining that 300 pounds back, plus more from being stuffed infront of a good quality round bale on a daily basis.

Vegitable oil is very low in essential omega's. And oils that you buy off a grocery shelf are refined.

~~~~
Coacoa Soya:

Cocosoya, Cocosoya Oil horse feed supplement

Cocosoya, Cocosoya Oil horse feed supplement

sillybunny11486 10-18-2009 11:19 PM

some round bales are good quality but you need to shop around, and possible get a hay analysis first. round bales were originally intended for cows and animals who dont get fed on a daily basis, who are usually fed the lower quality hay. I prefer canola oil over veggie oil. rice bran oil can go bad quickly. Ive never used cocosoya oil, but i dont really like coconut oil, i believe it has more partially saturated fats.

AussieDaisyGirl 10-18-2009 11:52 PM

The man I get my hay from runs the ag department at a college here. His round bales are specifically for horses.

The rice bran oil at TSC was $25 for a month's supply.

I'm definitely going to check out the cocosoya oil.