The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   14 year old QH mare (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/14-year-old-qh-mare-384866/)

Aesthetic 03-23-2014 08:49 PM

14 year old QH mare

1 Attachment(s)
Y'all have seen her before, this is my 14 year old Quarter Horse mare. She has been out of exercise for two years and recently has started to come back. She is a barrel horse and she's pretty darn nice at what she does. Anyways. I got new and better pictures. The last one of her wasn't that great. The angle on the side picture is way better but still hard since I was taking them by myself.

Aesthetic 03-23-2014 08:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Front legs

Aesthetic 03-23-2014 08:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Back legs

MyBrandy 03-23-2014 10:59 PM

Hi - thanks for sharing :) She has a very cute face :) She needs a ton of groceries and get her hooves on trimming schedule.. Her pasterns seem really upright to me.. I think it would be really interesting to see her few months from now when she puts weight on :)

MyBrandy 03-23-2014 11:00 PM

Also - her back looks really long at the first look - however on 2nd. look she seems to be standing on an angle with her hind end.. she needs to be squared up not swaying her butt away from the camera..

Aesthetic 03-24-2014 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBrandy (Post 5030690)
Also - her back looks really long at the first look - however on 2nd. look she seems to be standing on an angle with her hind end.. she needs to be squared up not swaying her butt away from the camera..

When I get help the side will be much easier.

Right now, she is actually fat. She just has ZERO muscle. She eats one scoop of 12% pellet and 12% sweet feed with unlimited access to hay. So her groceries are all there. She's actually pot bellied, I think I'm late for worming....
Thank you for your input! Farrier actually comes out tomorrow to trim her and fix her shoes. So she's right on schedule (: she's absolutely filthy in this pictures, but I believe the "skinny" look comes from her lack of muscle in every area of her body. She has a big belly on her xD

Aesthetic 03-24-2014 01:08 AM

She eats the two scoops together twice a day sorry I forgot to say that

Aesthetic 03-24-2014 01:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here she was yesterday. To me her weight seems fine. Could it just be the angle or do I need to add groceries?

CLaPorte432 03-24-2014 01:33 AM

893 Attachment(s)
The first picture...she looks very thin. Almost sick looking. Her neck is very thin and has that sunken look to it. Ribs are showing even through a winter coat. The color of the photo is off, but her coat looks dull. Eyes look a little listless too. Based on that picture...id guess she was mid-20s. But, She's your horse, you know her best...

I saw in another thread you wanted to get her checked for ulcers. I'd definitely recommend that.

She needs a top line and weight/muscle...which in turn needs proper conditioning and a good diet. I'd cut out the Sweet feed and add a good Senior pellet into the mix. Nutrena SafeChoice makes an incredible Senior formula.
Posted via Mobile Device

stevenson 03-24-2014 01:38 AM

shes thin, and dont know if its hair or what but looks to have some issues with her knee, swollen or arthritic ?