The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   What do you think of my filly? Lots of pics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/what-do-you-think-my-filly-38495/)

Crimsonhorse01 10-18-2009 09:55 PM

What do you think of my filly? Lots of pics

9 Attachment(s)
I have been thinking I might show my 09 grey arab Filly in halter. It would be my first time ever. Sorry the pictures aren't the best. For height reference my mom is 5' 3"
Also I still haven't named her. I would love to hear some suggestions if you would like. I want it to be Arabic though.

sillybunny11486 10-18-2009 09:58 PM

she looks like shes all legs! i think for halter classes you should be showing a horse with long hair. not sure how recent these pictures are or when you are showing. how tall is she? i can see her ribs even through her fuzzy coat. to me she needs more weight. her back end looks less muscular than what i would like to see.

dacer44 10-18-2009 09:58 PM

I don't know a lot about conformation, especially when it comes to foals. But the pic of her sleeping in the hay is TOO freakin cute! :)

JustDressageIt 10-18-2009 10:01 PM

Is she on a regular deworming program and on a good feeding program? My first reaction was "she's very skinny" - you can see her ribs even through her winter coat.

Crimsonhorse01 10-18-2009 10:03 PM

She is an April 15 of '09 baby. Weaned at 4 months (when I bought her). Shes on a 16% protein grain and lots of hay. Ive had her for about a month. She has just hit my slopes so she will be building that hind end real good. ;) My friend is going to help me show. I don't have show lined up yet.

mom2pride 10-18-2009 11:07 PM

She is decent sized for an April foal, but I would definitely be concerned by the fact that she is on the thin side. I would be deworming her, or at the least getting a fecal done.

As far as showing, are you planning to show this winter? If so, I have horrible news for you; you will have to body clip her, as the Arab world is a very tough show world...if she's not clipped, you may be docked severly... She looks like she has decent conformation under all that fuzz...I would try something like Grow Colt, or Calf Manna to help her gain weight, and conditioning. Start getting her used to electric clippers, as you will need to clip her bridle path, and whiskers, at the least, after she sheds out. Unless, like I said, you are planning on showing this winter yet.

sillybunny11486 10-18-2009 11:13 PM

consult with your vet before trying to put weight on her, she needs weight but making a baby too fat will cause developemental issues.

JustDressageIt 10-19-2009 01:42 AM

Conformation wise, I'm concerned about her front end. She has very long pasterns and is over at the knee. Her neck ties in low to the wither, which I don't think is terribly desirable in the Arabian breed. Her back pasterns are equally as long and unstable looking.
She's going to be cute, and certainly flashy, color-wise, I'm just personally not seeing a future halter champ right now. I could be completely out to lunch though.

Velvet 10-19-2009 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustDressageIt (Post 433177)
Conformation wise, I'm concerned about her front end. She has very long pasterns and is over at the knee. Her neck ties in low to the wither, which I don't think is terribly desirable in the Arabian breed. Her back pasterns are equally as long and unstable looking.
She's going to be cute, and certainly flashy, color-wise, I'm just personally not seeing a future halter champ right now. I could be completely out to lunch though.

I agree with all above (to lazy to type all the same things over)! Also want to add that she is going to need ALOT of condition before she's ready for showing...

Crimsonhorse01 10-19-2009 10:23 AM

ok, thank you everyone. Ive really just been playing with the idea of showing. Ive really don't have a clue on it. lol
On the diet note. She gets a big green scoop of Omelene 300, about 3-4 hrs at the hay and free choice of Purina Nature’s Essentials Free Balance™
I dewormed her when I got her. But then I did bring Raja in. Raja had been dewormed by her previous owner right before so she would be for sure worm free. Could she still have brought nasties?