The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What kind of saddle or pads to buy?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  luvs2ride1979 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am looking for advice for buying a new western saddle and/or appropriate saddle pads for my horse. He is a quarter horse cross...I'd guess a haflinger cross if I had to make a guess. He is built like a tank and has a wide back and his withers are not very high.

The saddle that I have slips sideways and I know it is not the right one for him. I just admittedly don't know what to look at to get a proper fit. :?

So I'm open to advice from people who know what they are talking about. :)

Thank you,
Tracy (& Cisco!)

#2 ·
I actually would consider the flex-tree. I know there are complains about tree changing with time, but I've seen them to fit those wide horses really nicely. I believe Abetta makes the one (and that's the cheapest I can think off).

#3 ·
You need something with a WIDE tree that sits down on his back, not perched on top. The front of the skirts should follow the line of his shoulders and barrel, at the same angle. The saddle should set level. If you run your hand under it, you should feel even pressure front to back.

With wide horses, a thin pad is often best. Something like a 1/2" or 3/4" wool felt pad. If the saddle fits well, then a thin pad will work nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.