The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rider Wellness (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/)
-   -   Birth control ? (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/birth-control-385722/)

Nikkibella 03-24-2014 10:10 PM

Birth control ?

I'm 18 and I have been dating my boyfriend for 2.5 years. We mess around a little but were both virgins. We are thinking about moving in together for college because we'll both be going to the same school a few hours from where we live now and his family owns a home up there.
I was wondering what my options are as far as birth control goes. I was thinking of getting my tubes tied because I hear that it can be reversed if you ever want to have kids later but I read that it's not supposed be a temporary thing.
I'm not opposed to the pill but I'm afraid of the side effects.
Any advice/ recommendations ?
(Please don't say abstinence. To move in with him both of our parents want me on bc of some sort and I'm not just sleeping around with diseased men. Just want to be safe with my bf )
Posted via Mobile Device

Renip 03-24-2014 10:34 PM

Do not tie your tubes, you're way too young for that. There are many forms of bc obviously:

https://www.womenshealth.gov/publica...l-methods.html

If I were you I'd either try the patch or the pill for now. Not everyone gets bad side effects from them. In the end you should do your research, talk to your doctor and then decide what is best for you. If you don't like it you can always switch to a different kind of pill or bc method.

Rideordie112 03-24-2014 10:37 PM

I got the depo shot, and never had any side effects.
Posted via Mobile Device

skipsangelheir 03-24-2014 10:42 PM

You can get the shot, my best friend gets it and she thinks its great, aside from being sore on her arm for a day. I just use the pill, I have had pretty good luck with it, just gained about 10 pounds:/also dont think that just because your both virgins that an std isn't a possibility, I cant remember which ones can be passed down from parents, so condoms are a good idea too. Just talk to your doctor , they will know what's best for you
Posted via Mobile Device

verona1016 03-24-2014 10:50 PM

Look into nuvaring. I had a hard time with the pill because of the swing in hormones over the day (lots of nausea). The ring releases hormones steadily with no ups and downs and I don't have to worry about taking it everyday.
Posted via Mobile Device

CLaPorte432 03-24-2014 10:52 PM

893 Attachment(s)
Tying your tubes is no easy thing, and it really isn't reversible. It's more of a permanent thing, and if you ever DID want to "undo" it, Insurance won't pay. So plan to have tens of thousands of dollars available. Also, It's MAJOR surgery. And no ethical surgeon is ever going to perform one on an 18 year old "just because"...

You really need to go see an OB-GYN and talk to them personally about what types of BC will be best FOR YOU.

With the pill, you really need to be responsible and take it every day, at the same time, every day. Certain antibiotics can cause the pill not to work, so if your ever sick, you will probably have to abstain or use a condom if you do have sex. (Depending on the antibiotic prescribed)

Don't do an IUD. At your age, never having sex, and never having children, there are too many risks involved. It's possible to puncture the uterus, and then you'll never be able to have kids.

Depo shots are okay. They last for 3 months, so you only have to go get them 4 times a year. I used them for awhile, but I seriously gained ALOT of weight on them. It is progesterone only, and can cause a hormone imbalance causing weight gain. It doesn't happen to everyone, and they "say" you only gain around 10 pounds, but seriously...No. I gained alot more then just 10.

I currently use IMPLANON. It's a small plastic rod that is inserted into the underside of your upper arm. It lasts for 3 years. Has very few side effects. And I never have to worry about puncturing my uterus, or missing a pill, or having any medications interfere with it's effectiveness. I LOVE this and recommend it to ALOT of people.
Official website for IMPLANON® (etonogestrel implant) 68 mg

There are other options. Nuva-Ring. Diaphragms. Condoms.

But you really need to find something that works with your schedule, that your comfortable with, and won't be detrimental to your future plans. (kids)

wausuaw 03-24-2014 10:56 PM

There's not really a good way for anyone to tell you what to use, since women react differently to the different types of hormones used in birth control. Some women have no trouble no matter what, some women are flat out unlucky and have every side effect in the book no matter what they use.

(I second not getting your tubes tied, too many things that can go wrong, including with your hormones- even if you never want kids) I would start with pill/patch, and if you have bad side effects then try a different one. I did well with depo shot (when I started it) , but then started having bad side effects after a couple of years- now I have implanin (implant in your arm, 3 year thing). That is done with in August, at which point I'm going to try to go to something else.

Personally, from my experience, I wouldn't do anything very "permanent" at your age (such as the implant). My body has changed rather drastically over the last 10 years as to how it handles drugs (including birth control). (I'm 28 now) things that were OK then, simply aren't very ok now.

Your best source for info is your gynecologist, if you have no doctor (please get one) Planned Parenthood (if there are any in your area) are very good at offering information and advice/suggestions about what may be a good place start. (They speak with women every day and hear all the side effects)

G'luck!

SueC 03-24-2014 11:13 PM

Hey NB, I was never able to take anything ongoing with synthetic hormones in it, they make me so sick! :-P I spent 20 years doing Billings method, which was totally successful contraception for me and really got me in tune with my body. You can buy a book on it, that's what I did. It's not that complicated really. You basically become aware of when your fertile phases are. When I was learning (on barrier contraception while learning), I was double-checking the physiological signs you learn to read by doing basal body temperature checks before getting up every morning, because women run about half a degree Celsius lower before ovulation than after. The book talks about safety margins and what I did was leave even more safety margin and use barrier contraception during fertile phases, with over-the-counter morning-after (contra-implantation) pills about three times in my life when the barrier contraception failed or looked suss.

Later on this method also helps you get pregnant when you want to. I don't know why it's not more utilised. I mean, it's popular with devout Catholics because of their views on artificial contraception, but it's also totally side-effect free. I guess it's a learning process but after that it's pretty straightforward. You can't get lazy and "tune out" though, or it won't work! If you have relatively regular cycles, it's easier to use Billings than if your cycles are all over the place, because your pattern will be easier for you to read.

BarrelracingArabian 03-24-2014 11:22 PM

I've been on the pill for 3 years before because I had intense horrible periods with pain I couldn't handle without the high dose pain meds. This last January I got the mirena iud and although the first few weeks the cramps were beyond anything I remember it i don't notice the mirena now. The only problem is they don't recommend them for girls who haven't had kids as they tend to have a higher percent of expelling them ( I might have to get mine replaced for this exact reason) but I think the pills actually kept me at a higher weight once I quit them I lost 15 pounds and dropped a pant size.

Nikkibella 03-24-2014 11:54 PM

Wow ! Thank you guys for such quick responses! I have to read through them more carefully tomorrow when I'm more awake but they all seem very helpful.
How would we go about getting tested for std's? Bloodwork ? (Please say no! I pass out at needles haha!)
Posted via Mobile Device