The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Looking to the next jump (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/looking-next-jump-38622/)

Spastic_Dove 10-20-2009 08:21 PM

Looking to the next jump

So I have been progressing really well in my lessons. Right now I am jumping around 2'6 at the highest. I have moved onto doing small courses, and while my position is getting complimented, I am having a hard time remembering to look to my next fence early enough. I keep thinking I'm looking, but apparently it's not dramatic enough.
So I was wondering if anyone has any sort of exercises to work on this with?
She mentioned something about jumping a circle of fences as an exercise? And not looking to the jump you are jumping but to the next one the entire time. Im not sure as I haven't done it yet.

How do you remember to look?

gypsygirl 10-20-2009 10:42 PM

i rode with a really good jump trainer a few times who said every stride you arent looking to the next jump is a stride in the wrong direction. i always think of that !

Allison Finch 10-21-2009 12:49 AM

Jumping is like playing chess. You must think three jumps ahead. You jump this jump, this way, to set yourself up for the next jump, which sets you up well for the next.....If you jump one jump at a time, you will be making really bad approaches which will sabotage your horse. As you approach the jump, think about what you need to do NOW to make the next jump easier. As soon as you can, turn and watch how the next jump comes to you and plan every step of your approach, thinking of the jump after that one.

I think of jumping as "dressage over fences". A horse that can go straight, and bend properly, and be balanced, and engage their haunch properly, will be a horse that can partnered on a jump course.

Spastic_Dove 10-21-2009 12:51 AM

I understand WHY I need to look, I just am not good at remembering unless she's yelling at me. Im wondering if theres any good tricks to remember/exercises to practice or if its just something you have to get in the habit of doing

Allison Finch 10-21-2009 01:13 AM

habit....yes. Practice.

Have someone hold up different cards with numbers on them and stand near the next jump. See how soon you can identify the number on the card. Mark where you saw the number and see if you can see it sooner on the next approach. Keep trying to see the numbers sooner and sooner. When you can identify which number is being held up right after landing the previous jump....you are on your way!

I have done this with students with similar problems. I find making a self competitive game of it is far better than yelling.

Spastic_Dove 10-21-2009 01:37 AM

That sounds like an awesome idea! Exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, Thanks! :)

MIEventer 10-21-2009 09:57 AM

Quote:

I think of jumping as "dressage over fences". A horse that can go straight, and bend properly, and be balanced, and engage their haunch properly, will be a horse that can partnered on a jump course.
I stess that all the time and thanks for bringing it back up. Jumping IS Dressage, with speed bumps. That's what it is.

I know this is off topic, but it drives me up the wall when I hear about and come across many riders who only want to jump, jump, jump, jump. But that's a whole other topic.

Quote:

Have someone hold up different cards with numbers on them and stand near the next jump. See how soon you can identify the number on the card. Mark where you saw the number and see if you can see it sooner on the next approach. Keep trying to see the numbers sooner and sooner. When you can identify which number is being held up right after landing the previous jump....you are on your way!

Excellant post as well! I think that is absolutely fantastic!

What my Coach does it staple colored plates to the fences. And my pattern has to be in order of the colors I'm told.

Red, blue, white, pink, green etc, etc.

But I like your idea much better.

Best of luck Spastic! You can do it!

Cougar 10-21-2009 10:06 AM

I'm totally blind in my left eye. I do some pretty dramatic looks as I have to to see where I am going. Pretend you're me. Wear an eyepatch.

I kid. There have been many wonderful suggestions already. I'm working on improving this as well. Good luck.

eventerdrew 10-21-2009 07:09 PM

the first time you fall off jumping because you weren't looking up and to the next jump... you'll remember. haha.

But seriously, what others said was pretty good. Having colored poles really helps.