The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Just starting some jumps... tips? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/just-starting-some-jumps-tips-38657/)

RubaiyateBandit 10-21-2009 01:51 PM

Just starting some jumps... tips?

I'm starting my pony, Bandit, jumping a bit on a lunge line. It's more or less just something to keep his mind occupied, because he gets so bored with just lunging, but I don't really have any idea how to go about it.
I've never done any jumps on a horse, so I'm not particularly sure how I'm supposed to convince him to jump and not just go around it or step over it.
Right now, I just have some little logs that I figured he could hop over without too much damage, and he isn't too bad about jumping them, but as soon as I give him anything higher, he gawks and swerves around it. I tried putting a barrel on the outside of the 'jump' to give him a sort of barricade, and he just swerves in toward or stops and steps over it.

xoSonnyLove1234 10-21-2009 03:55 PM

haha...just give him some more time to get used to it. With the smaller jumpes put like some decorations on the side then gradualy get larger... How high is he going now>???

gypsygirl 10-21-2009 04:09 PM

i would try free jumping him with out a line if possible

RubaiyateBandit 10-21-2009 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoSonnyLove1234 (Post 435339)
haha...just give him some more time to get used to it. With the smaller jumpes put like some decorations on the side then gradualy get larger... How high is he going now>???

I'm not real sure how high... the logs I have him jumping usually aren't even above his knee, though. I tried stacking a few, so that they were maybe a a bit under a foot high, and he cleared them pretty neatly when I wouldn't let him avoid them, but other than logs, I don't really have anything for jumps right now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gypsygirl (Post 435358)
i would try free jumping him with out a line if possible

Normally, that is how I lunge him, since having the rope just throws me off too much, but right now the round pen gates are sort of scattered between farms, and he hasn't been lunged out in the open in years.

xoSonnyLove1234 10-21-2009 09:13 PM

just keep working with him.. Your doing great!