The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   What is my deal? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/what-my-deal-38699/)

dreamrideredc 10-21-2009 09:59 PM

What is my deal?

Hey everyone! Something weird is going on with me. The past two times I went to the barn I have felt really distant...its weird. For the longest time I have been like OMG ride ride ride! And I'm still like that, don't get me wrong. But the past two times I just feel...different? Almost like why am I doing this. Maybe we just need a little trail ride planned to take a break but I find myself getting frustrated over the smallest things and then my poor boy has to pay and I just feel bad. Just Sunday I lessoned and I felt like I was on top of the world. Now Tuesday and today I feel like, why bother? Goodness it is weird!!! I don't know what my deal is! We have been working on the same things and it is getting kind of boring and it seems like we are not really getting anywhere. Ugh! I am not really looking for a particular response, I'm just venting. This is probably the weirdest post I have done so far, almost like a horsey depression caused by something I don't know of. Thanks for listening to my well, err, problem? LOL

APHA MOMMA 10-21-2009 10:09 PM

Hmmm...maybe a nice long trailride/picnic would help you out. Just a very relaxed day to go and bond with your horse and not have to worry about lessons. Take a lunch with you maybe so you can find somewhere and just tie your horse and just eat, relax, (bring some yummies maybe for the horse) and just vent with your horse but make it positive. I know it sounds silly but sometimes when I get bored of doing something and just feel blah, I just take a nice long trailride, it seems to ease my mind and it helps me concentrate on the next day with my horse. :D

Sorry you feel blah, and hopefully you perk back up. I have been through it before so you are not the only one.

BaliDoll 10-21-2009 10:23 PM

It does sound like some kind of horse based depression... haha. I suffer from mild depression and anxiety and I feel that way about a lot of things in my life at random times. I would suggest the same thing as APHA Momma did, do something like a trail ride. Something that is just for fun, not something with a goal. For me, grooming my horse and making him look very handsome always makes me feel better! And, I talk to him... <3

ShannonSevenfold 10-21-2009 10:48 PM

I know how you feel. I have those days once and a while too. It's just like.. Ughh. This is such a drag. What's even the point of doing this anymore? And then the next day you're like, Yeah! Let's go for a ride!

haha.

For me it generally depends on the mood I wake up in. That usually determines my outlook on life that day.

o0hawaiigirl0o 10-21-2009 11:28 PM

That totally happens with me. A quick fix is often just sitting in the pasture loving on my horse or the other horses. Or I'll just avoid any type of work when riding. I'll hop on bareback and just wander around, hand graze, or trail ride without focusing on where her head is or if she's bending correctly, etc.
Sometimes it might even mean taking a few days off from the barn before coming back with a new perspective.

Britt 10-21-2009 11:33 PM

I kinda know how you feel...

A few years ago I was always eager to ride and always wanted to ride... then after my uncle died two years ago, I was depressed and barely rode for almost nine months... my friends had to literally forcibly drag my out to catch the horses, and I wasn't the best company either.

I finally got to the point of really questioning why I wanted to keep riding when my uncle was no longer alive (he was my 'horsey family member' who I could talk to about anything... we could talk horses for hours and stay on one subject without losing interest). I was seriously thinking about selling both my horses and completely quitting...

Anyway, I was walking down the road and my horses ran down to the fence nickering at me as if they were saying 'hey' (it put me in tears, them running down to me... I was that upset)... I hadn't been planning on riding, but when they did that, I figured I'd take my mare out for a trail ride and think everything over.

So, we went out for a ride and I pretty much just completely re-evaluated evrything... in the end, I realized that I could remember my uncle by riding, not by quitting (if I had quit, he'd be so mad at me), so I decidedto keep riding. I'm glad I did, too... there's no better grief counselor than a horse. It's still hard at times, but I always have my horses.

I admit, now I don't ride near as much as I used to, but I do ride at least twice a week.

Just had to share my story! It's not the same situation, but the basic principles are there.

dreamrideredc 10-22-2009 06:14 PM

Britt-I'm sorry to hear about your uncle, but it's great you can remember him in such a positive way.

Thanks everyone for the input! I think we are going to set up a date for the trail ride and I think we're just sorta bored with what we are working on. We have been doing headset for just about three to four weeks now and it is pretty boring thinking head up, face vertical! Well, I'm sure this will pass quickly, I'm too horse crazy for it not to! =]