The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Cross cantering? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/cross-cantering-38702/)

CloudsMystique 10-21-2009 11:00 PM

Cross cantering?

Okay... I don't know anything about cross cantering or lead changes. I've never had to deal with them. All I learned while I was riding English was how to tell if I was on the right lead or the wrong lead.

For about a year, my mare has consistently cross cantered on one of her leads. The other lead is perfect. She doesn't just do it while she's in the round pen or making tight circles. She also does it while cantering in a straight line on a loose rein. She ALWAYS does it on that lead. Cross cantering is the WORST thing I have ever felt in my life. Worse than a pace. Is there some way to make her stop cross cantering on that lead? She knows her leads, so I can get her to canter on her good lead, but I can't make her canter on one lead only for the rest of her life. Any ideas?

Also... Sometimes when I canter her in the arena on her good lead, she switches to her bad lead in the corners. I fixed this today by immediately correcting her when she switched leads... And I found that if I sped her up in the corners, she wouldn't switch leads. After doing that for a while, I could canter her normally and she wouldn't switch leads. So that problem is solved... I was just wondering if anybody knew WHY she was randomly switching leads in the corners.

Thanks SO much in advance.

~*~anebel~*~ 10-21-2009 11:06 PM

It is one of three things - either she is not strong enough to hold the canter, you are way out of balance or there is a soundness issue.
In this situation I would recommend having a very knowledgeable horse person assess the problem in person. Without seeing a video, I can't recommend anything else.

Good luck!

CloudsMystique 10-21-2009 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~ (Post 435752)
It is one of three things - either she is not strong enough to hold the canter, you are way out of balance or there is a soundness issue.
In this situation I would recommend having a very knowledgeable horse person assess the problem in person. Without seeing a video, I can't recommend anything else.

Good luck!

I spent hours upon hours with my vet trying to figure out why she was doing this weird movement at the walk and why she was cross cantering. He decided that she has a little bit of a loose stifle... it doesn't completely lock up, but it slips around sometimes. That's definitely why she does the walk thing, but he isn't sure that it's the cause for the cross cantering.

I am going to start taking lessons again, and I'm going to mention it to my instructor. I'll try to get a video of it, too.

CloudsMystique 10-21-2009 11:53 PM

Oh, and I have lots of pictures of her doing it. Could those help, or do you need a video?

ridergirl23 10-22-2009 12:25 AM

does the saddle fit? I've heard of Ill fitting saddles making it painful for a horse to canter on a specific lead. Also, have you worked on straightening her? If she is really crooked then that could be why she does that. Haha ANOTHER thought is... Is one of your hands a lot 'holdier' then the other? I used to through my horse off balance so much my right handed stopped her from picking up the right lead easily. Hope this helped :)

CloudsMystique 10-22-2009 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ridergirl23 (Post 435826)
does the saddle fit? I've heard of Ill fitting saddles making it painful for a horse to canter on a specific lead. Also, have you worked on straightening her? If she is really crooked then that could be why she does that. Haha ANOTHER thought is... Is one of your hands a lot 'holdier' then the other? I used to through my horse off balance so much my right handed stopped her from picking up the right lead easily. Hope this helped :)

The saddle fits fine, and she does it bareback as well. I'm trying to straighten her up. Somebody on Yahoo Answers suggested that I canter her from one end of the arena to the other and make sure she stays in a perfectly straight line.

I don't think it's my hands, because I find that she does it much more often when I ask for the canter with a loose rein. If I keep contact when I ask for the canter, she stays straighter and is less likely to cross canter. So that must mean that she's doing it on her own accord.

ridergirl23 10-22-2009 12:32 AM

tealamutt 10-22-2009 10:20 AM

quick question- do you mean counter cantering or cross cantering? My gelding had a small issue with cross cantering for about a week, lots of transitions fixed this. It kind of sounds like you're describing counter cantering which I have no advice on!! However your pics are gorgeous and I agree with anebel about seeking professional advice (which it sounds like you're doing with a trainer...)

SoMuchManureSoLittleTime 10-22-2009 11:24 AM

I had a quarter horse who was lazy and often did not change leads in the rear while doing figure 8's. Could happen in either direction. No soundness problem. Just plain lazy.

You really have to cue with shifing your weight and using your leg to get them to change if they are just lazy. Use your crop in the rear to get the horse to wake up and not be lazy.

farmpony84 10-22-2009 11:58 AM

I agree with Anebel, it's either a soundness issue or a balance issue. I am more inclined to believe it's a weakness in the back from an old or current injury.