The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Saturday is Moving Day (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/saturday-moving-day-38761/)

luvmyperch 10-22-2009 05:50 PM

Saturday is Moving Day

Noah is moving to his new barn on Saturday! Yay!! He'll be close to home, turned out with a couple other old guys, have a giantic stall, wash stall with warm water, and an INDOOR!! OMG, I cannot wait.

How can I make his adjustment easier? He won't need to be in quarantine, although he will stay in his stall for a day so he can meet his new pasture buddies over his dutch door. We'll also be switching him from natural oats to purina senior.

Any tips/advice on making him less stressed through the transition?

jemmamalone 10-22-2009 06:54 PM

The best advise i can give is just make sure that you as his best friend is as calm and together as possible.
If your freaking out and worrying/ getting impatient or whatever then he will too.
And just make sure that when you change his food that you do it slowly and not suddenly.
Oh and make have something of his that he likes in his new stall already waiting for him. Maybe a salt lick or a jolly ball?
Something that you know will make him feel a little bit at ease. But no matter when when moving a horse they are going to be excited and scared to be in the new place.
Good luck... Let us all know how it goes :D

luvmyperch 10-23-2009 10:19 AM

Has anyone used those treat balls that hang in the stall? I suspect he might just rip it down and eat the whole thing in one bite!

gypsygirl 10-23-2009 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvmyperch (Post 437008)
Has anyone used those treat balls that hang in the stall? I suspect he might just rip it down and eat the whole thing in one bite!

my horse had one ! he liked it a lot but he figured out how to lift it up to the ceiling [yes they are VERY low in my barn] & it only took him like 5 minutes to eat it

Jillyann 10-23-2009 12:06 PM

So glade to hear youre finally moving. It will be an exciting change for him, and you!

bubblegum 10-24-2009 07:48 PM

how did the move go today?

luvmyperch 10-24-2009 08:47 PM

We're finally home... Move went great! He's so happy to be in a giant foaling stall. For the first time in weeks, he didn't have that anxious look on his face! He has a dutch door out to the pasture so all the other horses can say hello tonight while he's inside. We'll turn him out after breakfast tomorrow, and see how he does with the other old guys. I'd like to show him the indoor tomorrow too. I doubt he's ever seen one before!

BaliDoll 10-24-2009 09:26 PM

Aww... how sweet! I'm happy for you two :)

Jillyann 10-24-2009 10:06 PM

Glad to hear!

jemmamalone 10-25-2009 05:18 PM

Im glad the move went well :)