The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   pelleted bedding? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/pelleted-bedding-38772/)

heyycutter 10-22-2009 10:02 PM

pelleted bedding?

the barn im moving cutter to in a couple weeks uses pelleted bedding. and the barn owner told my mom the horse is supposed to pee on it and then you leave it in the stall because thats how it works? i have no idea, my mom just tried to repeat what the barn owner said. ive always used plain ol shavings. how do pellets work??

ilovestitch 10-22-2009 11:08 PM

I personally havent ever used pellet bedding but here is a website with alot of information about it
www.guardianhorsebedding.com/pinepellets.htm

MollyK 10-23-2009 02:54 PM

I used pelletted bedding for a while when I had my own barn. It costs a lot to get started (and I do like my stalls especially fluffy :)), but it's cost effective over time. You load up the stall and wet the pellets so that they expand and are soft. When cleaning stalls, you pick out the manure, as usual, but you don't have to strip the wet spots because the moisture is absorbed into the bedding. From time to time you just replenish the pellets. I found it made for nice dry stalls. No more big wet spots on the sides of the horses in the morning.

heyycutter 10-23-2009 04:34 PM

so your supposed to leave the pee in there? my horse is a bigggg pee-er, so i dont want the pellets to be saturated with pee. lol im sorry i find pellets so confusing. so your supposed to let it absorb urine and leave it in there?

SFMoneyMarket 10-23-2009 07:08 PM

Nooooo wrong wrong lol.

I absolutely adore pelleted bedding. Best invention ever. You start out with about 3-4 bags of it. You put one bag in at a time, and take the water hose and hose it down heavily. Let it set for about 10 minutes, and if it's not soft enough, wet it down again. When you spread it out, it should be like sand sort of, it's okay if there are a few pellets here and there, but the majority should be fluffed out. You do this with each bag individually. You DO NOT leave the pee in there. You still scoop the pee out, but it minimizes the area that the pee takes up, and absorbs a lot of it. It lasts longer, and I usually have to put 1 to 2 bags in a week after the first time. It's really easy to clean, it sifts right through the pitchfork, it absorbs liquid, and it's really neat and tidy. Great investment.

heyycutter 10-23-2009 07:30 PM

i guess the part that confuses me is, after you hose down the pellets, is the bedding wet? or does it like, dry i guess. i dont think i want my horse standing in wet sawdust like stuff all night

heyycutter 10-23-2009 07:30 PM

iive alwayss used shavings lol

PiggyPablo 10-23-2009 07:43 PM

I use Sweet PDZ...www.sweetpdz.com Awesome stuff. I've tried pelleted bedding before and couldn't stick with it...was expensive to maintain, my horse thought it was food!, and the stall didn't stay dry/smell better.

sillybunny11486 10-23-2009 09:18 PM

you dont leave them in there as pellets, you water them so they seperate. you dont soak the bedding you tampen it. after getting it the the right level, i used about one bag every two weeks. its was pretty cheep to maintain compared to shavings, which i had to add a bag every few days.

PiggyPablo 10-23-2009 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sillybunny11486 (Post 437677)
you dont leave them in there as pellets, you water them so they seperate. you dont soak the bedding you tampen it. after getting it the the right level, i used about one bag every two weeks. its was pretty cheep to maintain compared to shavings, which i had to add a bag every few days.

I did exactly that. Different strokes for different folks :wink: