The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Best moment on horseback (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/best-moment-horseback-38803/)

lexxwolfen 10-23-2009 12:52 PM

Best moment on horseback

Mine was on the trail on a warm fall day, sun in the sky and a gentle breeze. Was riding her bareback and with just a halter and lead along the 300 acres, listening to birds and just enjoying. I've never felt more happy and relaxed as I did then. Not a care in the world.

What is your most memorable moment on horseback?

dee 10-23-2009 01:34 PM

Strange you should mention it. I was just thinking about it today. It happened years ago...

I was in a walking cast because I broke my stupid ankle. I don't know why I tried to walk to the back pasture, but I did. Once I got back there, I realized there was no way I was going to be able to walk back - I was in agony. :-( My mare, Sugar, walked over to me and was "wuffling" my hair and generally being a pest. I figured - what the he_ _, it might be worth a try. I had never really ridden bareback, and Sugar didn't even have a halter on. I led her (actually, she followed me) to a tree stump and I climbed on. I had to get on from the wrong side - she wasn't completely cooperative, but somehow I made it on board without killing myself. I can't believe she tolerated it, with that dang cast banging up against her. :shock: Once I was up there, I realized I didn't have a clue how I was going to get back down, or even get her to go where I wanted. I gave her a tiny nudge (I sure didn't want her to take off with me!) and she started walking. A little lean, and she slowly turned the direction I wanted her to go. I grabbed her mane and hung on for dear life when she crossed the spillway and climbed up onto the dam, but she was still going at an easy walk. Sugar headed straight for the gate, and even let me unfasten the chain holding it closed without fuss. I didn't close it behind me - she wasn't having any part of that (this isn't a miracle story, anyway!), but she carried me all the way to my front porch.

Hubby met me on the porch and helped me climb down. That's when Sugar's good behavior ended, and she was her cantakerous self again. She didn't have a halter on and she was loose in the yard! She started to take off down the road - but decided that the bucket my husband grabbed might have something interesting in it and followed him instead. By the time hubby reached the feed room, the other horses were out of the gate I left hanging open. He was NOT happy with me, but they all raced back to their feeding stations when they saw him come back out with a big bucket of oats. Even Sugar ran back into the pasture.

Not much of a story, but I love telling it. It was the only time Sugar was ever really sweet. Most of the time she was a real pill, but I loved her!:wink:

Lenuccia 10-28-2009 04:39 PM

I remember the very first time I jogged on a horse. I was in France on holiday with my boyfriend and there was a place where they rented out horses, so we decided to go for a ride. We had a guide with us, just the three of us, and I didn't have much experience on a horseback (practically none). But I had courage ;-)
And at a certain point the French guide said "Are we okay for a jog?" And we said "yes" and off we went on this narrow path in the woods! I was riding a white gelding with a McLellan saddle, so I didn't have much to hold on to, but I just went with it. And stayed on the horse for the whole ride. Wow, I just couldn't get the smile off my face for the rest of the day :-D

Lenuccia 10-28-2009 04:41 PM

Oh no, got jog and lope mixed up (my English is not so good), I meant lope, gallop, canter, how do you call it? Well, the fastest speed :-D

flamingauburnmustang 10-28-2009 04:56 PM

I have a few. One was when I went riding at a bushveld ranch. We went on an outride and I was on a stallion. Throughout the trip he was so frisky and wild, every now and then having a brief gallop next to one of the other horses. On the way back to the stables he took off, galloping the fastest I have ever felt. It was amazing!

gypsygirl 10-28-2009 05:02 PM

my favorite rides are with my two horses ! by far my favorite is gypsys first ride ever, beacause that is an amazing feeling anyways, & the fact that gypsy is totally my baby made it even more special

my other favorite ride is with my horse scout. our last event together was perfect [we won on our dressage score of 27 btw] on xc if felt like we were perfectly in harmony the whole time & even though the course was really hard we were perfect & it was so fun & thrilling i cant even discribe !

RubaiyateBandit 10-28-2009 05:29 PM

Magic is the first horse I've ever ridden around barrels at anything faster than a slow trot. I started her off slow, because I wanted to figure out the pattern for myself, but we advanced quickly, and soon enough I felt confident enough to take her to a show. I was nervous, and she was dancing at the gate, blowing and stomping, and I was ready to turn back and refuse to run her until I felt I had her under control better. But a friend convinced me to go anyway, and I took her for a quick jog in the warm up pen under the guise of checking for lameness, entered the arena and, not sure what else to do, just let her go. The feeling of her running full out for that first barrel was the most exhilarating thing... and then she turned, a little close, and headed for the second barrel; she had to break to a trot since she hadn't changed leads, and then she galloped off for that third barrel, and was running so hard for the gate that I couldn't even feel her hooves hitting the ground.

Sissimut-icehestar 10-28-2009 05:36 PM

last winter, late, it was completely dark, very cold but still and I had a lake on one hand and the forest on the other. My horse had a rare good moment I was just going along in a smooth, fast tölt looking at the stars. It was wonderful.

Britt 10-29-2009 01:31 PM

Hm... this is a hard one, but I would have to say the first time I ever went faster than a trot with my mare... I'd owned her for a few years already, but never cantered with her because of her bucking problem... We were trotting and she just slid into a canter and we were flying... it was amazing, I was excited and terrified because if she'd have bucked, I would have flew off her back, but she was perfect.

Annaland13 10-29-2009 01:49 PM

The first time I rode bareback. It was awesome